Author Topic: Ryzen 9 3950X build  (Read 13488 times)

2019-12-12, 15:24:54

Jochen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi everybody,

Though I check this forum almost on a daily basis, this will be my first post here :)

I'm in the process of wrapping my head around a new workstation build, and I would like some advice on it. So I figured this would be the perfect place to ask..

As you can probably tell from the title, I'm contemplating a 3950X build. Unfortunately the 3th gen Threadrippers are a bit out of my budget, so I figured this would be the next best thing in line. Next to the CPU, I also decided this build will include a RTX 2080 ti. So basically CPU + GPU are more or less decided. The reason behind the 2080 ti is because I also love to dabble around in GPU rendering, but also because I'd like this new workstation to be a solid machine that can last me quite some years.

One of my main questions is regarding which motherboard to get? Since the new Ryzen chips support PCIe 4.0 technology, it seems to me that it would be smart to get a MB that supports this as well. Or won't this have that much of an impact? Preferably the MB should also be able to support a potential future second GPU (just to be safe for whichever road I decide to 'travel' in the future :)).

Also, would this CPU need water cooling? Just double-checking, because I think I read somewhere here on the forums that Juraj mentioned that air cooling - with a Noctua fan - would be sufficient?

As you can probably tell, I'm not that established in all of this DIY computer building stuff, but the last couple of weeks/months I did a lot of research. But I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask around a bit more before final decisions.

Once the MB is decided, I think there will be a bit more questions following :D But at this point, this seems to be the most important.

Thanks in advance!

2019-12-12, 16:01:26
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Ryzen 3000 series are supported by both older X470 (and B450,etc..) and newer X570 chipsets. But this is mostly useful to people who already have a board and don't want to upgrade it, for new builders, the small price difference is well offset in favor of going with newer X570:

- PCI 4.0 is not useful at the moment, but it doesn't hurt to have it esp. since you mention you would like to get few years out of this build. The cost between comparable motherboards is under 100 euros, I find that surcharge to be worth it. For Threadripper TRX40, the same surcharge is three time as high.
- Air cooling is definitely capable just fine for 3950X, the "watercooling suggested" is pure marketing bait. It might be made to make sure people don't use low capacity air coolers, but something the size of Noctua NH-D15 or NH-U12a is not on par, but quite often better than most 240/280 or even 360mm AIO water coolers. Esp. in sizeable mid-tower cases with good airflow, there is no difference.

Most board differ on hardware level and feature set. The HW is mostly about power cascade/VRMs, how well it supports overclocking. Feature set is mostly about how much money you like throwing into trash bin :- ). Almost all ATX-sized board support dual-gpu setup. Very few support quad layout, if that's something you would consider in future.

There is 'Tier' list of quality for all available X570 boards, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wmsTYK9Z3-jUX5LGRoFnsZYZiW1pfiDZnKCjaXyzd1o/htmlview#gid=2112472504
You can compare everything here if you have enough time.

For my build, I personally went with Asus ROG Strix-E (the E being important, as the F & I version have inferior VRM for almost same price), because it's almost identical to much more expensive Asus ROG Crosshair while being significantly cheaper in Europe. In US they cost almost the same for some reason though. 250 +/- Euro budget is what I find reasonable for X570 board, above that you're paying mostly for unnecessary fancyness.

Now just quickly to memory and I am out. To get the most out of Ryzen 3000 workstation, you should opt for 32GB DIMMs for memory to give you option of 4x32=128GB either right away (I suggest doing so) or in future. No choice of actual memory on market though, just Corsair sets. In January, there might come more.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-12-13, 11:07:32
Reply #2

Jochen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you Juraj for your time to post this extensive and very informative reply! A little follow-up..

Air cooling is definitely capable just fine for 3950X, the "watercooling suggested" is pure marketing bait. It might be made to make sure people don't use low capacity air coolers, but something the size of Noctua NH-D15 or NH-U12a is not on par, but quite often better than most 240/280 or even 360mm AIO water coolers. Esp. in sizeable mid-tower cases with good airflow, there is no difference.

So cooling wise this (CLICK) Noctua NH-D15 should do the trick? The black version looks very nice, compared to original color scheme! :D

For my build, I personally went with Asus ROG Strix-E (the E being important, as the F & I version have inferior VRM for almost same price), because it's almost identical to much more expensive Asus ROG Crosshair while being significantly cheaper in Europe.

Just to be sure, you're talking about this one (CLICK), right? I watched some review videos, and it should do the trick for me it seems. Supports PCIe 4.0, and it's very affordable in my opinion. This definitely could be 'the one' for me as well!

Now just quickly to memory and I am out. To get the most out of Ryzen 3000 workstation, you should opt for 32GB DIMMs for memory to give you option of 4x32=128GB either right away (I suggest doing so) or in future.

Budget wise, for now, I'm planning to add 64gb of memory in this build, 6x16gb. Would this be a significant problem? 128gb Is the dream of course, but not for now I'm afraid.

Do you perhaps have suggestions regarding which brand/type of ram to get? I know of Corsair Vengeance LPX or Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, for example. Are there other suitable alternatives that would fit my build?

Also, I should look for 3.200Mhz, right?

As for the case.. I've set my eyes on the Fractal Design Define R6 (tempered glass edition). It seems to be a solid case with overall good reviews. Just to double-check: this should fit a potentially 2 GPU build, right?

Also, would it be a good idea to add extra exhaust fans?

One more thing and than I'm done for now.. What would be the preferred amount of watts for my PSU? I think 750 would be the minimum, but contemplating 1000 watts. Any insights here?

Thanks again!! Much appreciated :)
« Last Edit: 2019-12-13, 16:05:33 by Jochen »

2019-12-13, 18:35:08
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Here is my build I finished today. 3950X/Strix-E/4x32GB Corsair 3200 CL16 (untested yet for stable speed)/Noctua NH-D15/Fractal Define C/Seasonic Focus 1000W/4x120mm Noctua NF A12x25 PWM.

The only reason I have Seasonic Focus 1000W is because it was available right away in shop, I didn't have time to wait for any other.
For single GPU-setup, 760W is enough. 1K is nice for dual-GPU. But you can buy 1k directly from Seasonic and it will run passive without fan spinning. I like that.

Define R6/S1/S2 is very nice series of cases. They offer option for 140mm fans and plenty of drives. If you don't have many HDDs (or none) go with S1/S2 because they can do 3x140mm fans in front, R6 can only do two and third on bottom, S1/S2 solution is cleaner with better airflow. They are otherwise the same case. I went with Define C because I wanted something small and easily transferable.

Exhaust fan is very beneficial. Single in back is enough with single GPU, with dual-gpu you might open the moduvent top. Positive pressure (more intake fans than exhaust) is highly preferable to avoid dust and with Define cases, much better accoustics.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2019-12-13, 19:24:19
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Whoa, that CPU cooler takes half of volume of the case! Thanks for the picture, now i'm thinking, maybe i should consider Define S. Do you know what is the difference between S and S2?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-12-13, 19:42:30
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
S is 4 years old, S2 being successor, from quick glance:

S1 was based on R5, S2 is based on R6. 
S2 only offers glass panel side, and has PSU shroud that you can't remove (just line in R6).
Probably lot of tiny improvements like USB C on top, and newer version of the Fractal fans (still not great, but not terrible either).

Probably not possible to buy S1 brand new anymore, as it was cleaner imho.

The whole series was always criticized because it's same as R6 but with much less features. But to me, the triple front fan is better than tons of HDD cages that I need to recycle anyway.

2019-12-14, 11:44:09
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Thanks for the answer! I thought S2 has to offer some significant advantage, because it is much pricier than S1, at least in my local shop.

2019-12-16, 05:24:22
Reply #7

Gewiz90

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey does anyone know how I can get my hands on a 3950x? I live in the USA?

2019-12-16, 08:10:29
Reply #8

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard
Hey does anyone know how I can get my hands on a 3950x? I live in the USA?

Check your local shops and you might be extremely lucky to find one. Other than that eBay is the only place you'll find them right now and they have a large mark up from the MSRP.

2019-12-16, 10:27:59
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Strange, in my local shop 3950x is in stock for more than a week now and it seems nobody wants it, even if the price is not crazy high.

2019-12-16, 11:22:25
Reply #10

STHA

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the picture. especially at that viewing angle. Always gives an insight into a build type and how parts fit in.

where is the ram?!! :)

That cooler is huge. You had mentioned the Noctua U12a earlier, which one would be appropriate from the one you used!. Doesnt the weight of such coolers effect the motherboard?.

The 3950x seems out of stock on amazon here or other venders until the end of december, but I don't mind waiting until january or until the 3990x is released, may it drop the 3960 prices down to that of 3950x! :)

Thanks.

2019-12-16, 12:08:50
Reply #11

Jochen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Juraj and others, thanks for the comments + advice!

I used the weekend to do some more research and final my quest for the parts for my workstation. Here's a breakdown:

- CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
- CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D15 (chromax black version)
- Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4
- Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

* Is this a good choice of brand/type for my build?
** I'd like to add some subtle RGB stuff in my build, but I was wondering if these memory 'sticks' will be visible in this particular case/motherboard? If not, I'll go for a non-RGB solution.

- GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC
- Case: Fractal Design Define S2
- PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 1000 W
- Case fans: 4 x Corsair ML140 Pro 97 CFM 140 mm Fan (black version)

* I think I'll follow Juraj's example/build, and add 3x intake fans in the front, and 1x exhaust fan in the back. Or should I opt for an extra bottom + top fans as well? Juraj mentioned that for a single GPU setup, the 3x + 1x combo should be sufficient. So just double-checking :)

- Storage: this is something I haven't really decided on/looked into. I'm planning to add either a 500 GB or 1 TB SSD to install Windows/apps on, and add either one extra 4 TB HD, or 2x 2 TB hard drives for projects and stuff. Since my girlfriend will be using this computer as well for some photo editing and other little projects, I would like to keep our stuff separated. So what would be the best solution? Both having a single drive, or format one bigger drive in 2?

Also, what would be some good recommendations regarding brand/types of SSD and HD's?

I think so far this is it again from my part.. As you can see there are just a few things left to decide, and than it's time to order! :)

Your input, again, will be much appreciated!

Cheerz

2019-12-17, 00:41:04
Reply #12

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard
Strange, in my local shop 3950x is in stock for more than a week now and it seems nobody wants it, even if the price is not crazy high.

They haven't been in stock anywhere here since 5 minutes after release!

2019-12-17, 13:58:44
Reply #13

STHA

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Jochen,

two seperate drivers would be better.
you can remove her or yours drive in the future without having to migrate to a new build.

2019-12-20, 15:45:39
Reply #14

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
What STHA wrote, you can't go wrong with two physical drives.