Author Topic: Gravity Overridden  (Read 4917 times)

2015-02-21, 18:04:01

-Ben-Battler-

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there

Last week I've finally chosen to give Corona a try since I've heard many good things about it. I'm coming from V-Ray and I have to admit, that working with Corona is very straightforward and satisfying. Everything works with the click of a button, no crappy default settings, fast and solid distributed rendering..
And I think for an Alpha Stage, Corona still has many features that I use on a daily basis with V-Ray.

This is a scene I've created the last days, first set up with V-Ray, but then converted for a test ride with Corona. As you see the scene has very little direct lighting and I really had my troubles getting it to render in V-Ray with an adequate quality without letting the rendertime explode. I find IR & LC is barely usable in such scenes since it creates easily visible splotches. With BR there was still very much noise to clean up by the AA engine which let the rendertime explode. That made me decide to switch to Corona.

I can say that rendertimes are around 2x faster with Corona which made me drop my chin. I think it handles indirect illumination very well. The materials are easy to set up if you're coming from V-Ray, I like the constantly active Fresnel formula and I even think, the BRDF is closer to reality than Phong/Ward of V-Ray 2.4 (although this experience could have gotten misjudged by my excitement).

But at one point I was a little confused. Our Dual Xeon render slave handled the rendering process very badly. It was half as fast as our Hexacore Slaves. Is there a reason for that?

3ds Max for Scene creation
Corona for Rendering
Nuke for Post

Visit boxel

2015-02-23, 09:16:42
Reply #1

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
But at one point I was a little confused. Our Dual Xeon render slave handled the rendering process very badly. It was half as fast as our Hexacore Slaves. Is there a reason for that?
This is fairly known behaviour, long story short, it's a mix of Microsoft and Autodesk being lazy cheeto eating, mtn dew drinking programmers, frustrating artist all over the world.
tl;dr: If you go above 36 cores, they are ignored. There is a fix on it, read the last post in this thread:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,5859.msg40662.html#msg40662

Also, what?
Floating truck, why, upside down even more why. It... just doesn't compute in my brain.
I mean essentially computer technology has come to this point of advancement and intelligence, where you used 4 hours of rendertime to flip a Truck upside down. By that logic you could have contributed to cancer reasearch.
« Last Edit: 2015-02-23, 09:26:06 by SairesArt »
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2015-02-23, 10:54:52
Reply #2

-Ben-Battler-

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Haha, Mtn Dew was my favorite drink when I once made a trip to HI. But it doesn't seem to have a good reputation the way you use it.

Thanks for the link, I will have a look at it.

As for your remarkably noticeable question:

I was inspired to this composition by a sequence in the film "Thor - The Dark World" where a couple of people enter a storehouse which housed an old truck which seemed being unaffected by gravity. The guys gave him a push and it started to turn slowly around its pivot. I found this quite an epic scene.

You see part of the sequence in the trailer, right at the beginning:

Well, concerning your side blow about contribution to cancer research: Don't we all stand in this ethical predicament? Maybe we still have little influence by motivating people to move forward in technology and being innovative in all kinds of realms with the help of our work and our pictures. ;)
Visit boxel

2015-02-23, 11:11:33
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile

I'm not going to issue you a warning yet, but please, keep the excessive off-topic in the off-topic section... thank you.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-02-23, 15:22:52
Reply #4

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
I'm not going to issue you a warning yet, but please, keep the excessive off-topic in the off-topic section... thank you.
To be fair :]
Haha, Mtn Dew was my favorite drink when I once made a trip to HI. But it doesn't seem to have a good reputation the way you use it.
Personal experience - off topic
Thanks for the link, I will have a look at it.
Showing gratitude - on topic
As for your remarkably noticeable question:
I was inspired to this composition by a sequence in the film "Thor - The Dark World" where a couple of people enter a storehouse which housed an old truck which seemed being unaffected by gravity. The guys gave him a push and it started to turn slowly around its pivot. I found this quite an epic scene.
You see part of the sequence in the trailer, right at the beginning:
Explaining the inspiration behind the scene - on topic
Well, concerning your side blow about contribution to cancer research: Don't we all stand in this ethical predicament? Maybe we still have little influence by motivating people to move forward in technology and being innovative in all kinds of realms with the help of our work and our pictures. ;)
slightly comedic philosophy about image rendering in general - argueably on topic
This post, off topic :[
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2015-02-23, 16:25:25
Reply #5

-Ben-Battler-

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Quote from: SairesArt
This post, off topic :[

I was thinking the same thing.. But I'm sure he was talking about me as well. ;)
Visit boxel