Author Topic: Fresnel (IOR) numbers  (Read 48573 times)

2015-01-04, 16:07:50

Black Sun

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

I am creating a table of IOR numbers. I have the major minerals, but can someone please tell me the IOR for the following matetrials:

Leather
Velvet
Plaster
Rugs
Quarry tile
Slate tile
Brick rough
Brick smooth
Linen
Cotton
Stone
Concrete rough
Concrete smooth
Wood rough
Wood smooth
Bark
Pebbles

2015-01-04, 16:20:14
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
You can use default 1.52 for all of them.

Non-metals vary only very little in specularity. The range rarely goes above >2. Lesser reflective like water start at 1.333, most woods, bricks, fabrics and even plastic are around 1.52 or slightly higher.
No magic here.

{not that it matters, but if it isn't measure here, you will not get exact number. Like expected, it's mostly liquids, crystalics,...   http://www.filmetrics.com/refractive-index-database }
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-01-04, 17:35:34
Reply #2

Black Sun

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You can use default 1.52 for all of them.

Non-metals vary only very little in specularity. The range rarely goes above >2. Lesser reflective like water start at 1.333, most woods, bricks, fabrics and even plastic are around 1.52 or slightly higher.
No magic here.

{not that it matters, but if it isn't measure here, you will not get exact number. Like expected, it's mostly liquids, crystalics,...   http://www.filmetrics.com/refractive-index-database }

Thanks for the reply. Very reassuring.

I am about to render my first render. I have spent weeks composing it. Like you, my standards are very high.
The render was actually inspired by your Iceland scene... using light woods... which is a refreshing change from dark woods.

But, it's like painting a picture... you are never sure when you have finished... there is always something more you can change or add.

2015-01-04, 18:19:28
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

But, it's like painting a picture... you are never sure when you have finished... there is always something more you can change or add.

That's why I never work too much on personal works. I accept shortcomings and move along to next thing, long before 'diminishing returns' (too much effort for little progress) occur.
It's easy to get lost, loose focus and energy and waste time and effort. Better to complete something, learn from it, but put those learnings into use in next project. Sometimes...quantity matters :- ).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2015-01-04, 19:48:25
Reply #4

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

That's why I never work too much on personal works. I accept shortcomings and move along to next thing, long before 'diminishing returns' (too much effort for little progress) occur.
It's easy to get lost, loose focus and energy and waste time and effort. Better to complete something, learn from it, but put those learnings into use in next project. Sometimes...quantity matters :- ).

Do you make an effort to try new techniques? I mean, how do you measure your progress?

2015-01-04, 22:15:21
Reply #5

Black Sun

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Good advice. Yes, at the end of the day to have to know when to say "fuck it"... and move on.
It is very easy to loose focus, especially when you are a freelancer... and get hung up on micro managing.

When I finish a project I can NEVER go back to it.... it's dead and I have no feeling for it.... but, while I am was doing it it was the most important
thing to me... totally consumed by it. Maybe that's why I am obsessed by getting it right... cos I know I will never touch it again.

2015-01-05, 00:19:08
Reply #6

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Do you make an effort to try new techniques? I mean, how do you measure your progress?

I do focus on goals, but not 'techniques', or perhaps I don't share the same understanding of the word.

I don't particularly measure progress either, but looking back I try to judge my results. Everything to me is rather one big 'picture', and I do rather try to not get lost in individual facets.

2015-01-05, 10:17:52
Reply #7

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
By techniques I mean: exploring new ways to achieve better results. But, I see what you mean and I think that is perhaps the best way to "progress". I do keep track of the new things I learn, so I can use in the next project.