Author Topic: Color correct LUT in Dron footage  (Read 1314 times)

2021-09-17, 11:31:54

aref3dsmax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. we want to render with Dron footage. but in tone mapping we have some issue

we want to render with LUT and tone mapping and expose. but it affects drone footage.

and coronatonemap cant very help

2021-09-17, 13:14:23
Reply #1

balatschaka

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just render it with black direct overide and alpha. Compose later in photoshop.

2021-09-17, 14:05:45
Reply #2

aref3dsmax

• Active Users
    • View Profile

thank for the advice. in photoshop or after ( its animation ) we have some issues. because we create a material with frame buffer and when we want to use it in a composite program no match together.
as I say before we had different results after composite.

2021-09-20, 09:29:40
Reply #3

3dboomerang

• Active Users
  • Head of 3D
    • View Profile
    • 3DFLOW
Here's how we handle photo-impass with Corona:

First make the lighting in the scene on the 3D model with a black background or whatever (We use HDRI's), match it with what you see in the drone image, angle of lighting ~ strength, etc...
Use a CoronaColorCorrect on the background image (drone) and pull it in the Direct Visibility override in settings (F10-scene)

The only way to get the original drone image rendererd, is to not use any VFB settings. You will use them for sure. Don't forget your BG image is prob 8bit or 12bit (NEF?). In the end you're rendering out 3D that's 16bit+ and some 8/12 bit info in the background.
The highlight compress setting is always the most important factor for us when doing photo-impass cause of (I think) this difference in pixel-depth-info.

Thus the background will be affected faster (harder?) by the highlight compress setting for example and make it look bland, compared to the 3D.

So you really need to tweak that BG with the corona-color-override on top, with the (lighting + refraction + reflection) HDRI untill you get that background aligned with the 3D-model.

That's the way we feel and do it here.. My 5 cents.

2021-09-20, 09:30:39
Reply #4

3dboomerang

• Active Users
  • Head of 3D
    • View Profile
    • 3DFLOW

I wouldn't do that... You'll get mask-lines on the 3D-edge where it goes over into the BG.

2021-09-20, 10:13:44
Reply #5

balatschaka

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I wouldn't do that... You'll get mask-lines on the 3D-edge where it goes over into the BG.

Thats why you need to render with black as a direct override.