Author Topic: Holiday House Switzerland  (Read 8743 times)

2013-10-09, 10:52:35

Marcus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • The Subdivision
Hey Hey,

I'm Marcus. I heard from Corona Renderer a few months ago. Finally I had some time to work with it.
I'm astonished how easily Corona is to manage in the first try.
So I'm really think about to implement Corona in my Commercial-Workflow. It's really nice to show a client the overall mood of an image in 5 Minutes. Wow.

PS: All images are lit by a single HDRI. Also I've place a big self-illuminated panorama around the scene so get some better specular reflection.
The rendertimes vary about 1,5 and 2,5 hours with a single i7

Marcus

2013-10-09, 14:57:12
Reply #1

st.germain

• Active Users
    • View Profile
very good! can you describe more the "self-illuminated panorama" (screenshot). did you use it as a override material in environment?

2013-10-09, 15:29:36
Reply #2

Marcus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • The Subdivision
St. Germain I just put a cylinder around my scene an give it a self-illumination (emission) material with the mountain panorama as emission-map. I used a low value about 5-10 for the shots. I don't use material override, but a HDRI in the environment.

Marcus

2013-10-09, 15:33:47
Reply #3

st.germain

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thanks a lot!  very usefull :)

2013-10-09, 15:38:14
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
hm, that looks like a really inefficient process, you should just use environment overrides and/or constantMtl for that
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-10-09, 15:41:20
Reply #5

Marcus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • The Subdivision
I thought so. ;)

I wanted to combine the lighting of the HDRI and the specular reflections of the background. Is there another way to do this?

2013-10-09, 15:46:32
Reply #6

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
yes, just put the map into reflection BG override, but never create backplates enveloping the entire scene
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-10-09, 15:51:18
Reply #7

Marcus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • The Subdivision
ups... don't saw this section. ;)
Merci

2013-10-09, 16:50:24
Reply #8

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
ups... don't saw this section. ;)
Merci

Actually, you can envelope entire scene... Just do not use it to illuminate scene. You can have exactly what you have now, just use CoronaConstantMTL, instead of emissive CoronaMTL. It will give you some performance boost.

To be honest, Keymaster misunderstood the difference between environment map and background plates...

CoronaConstantMTL is material exactly for this purpose. Common workflow is to first light your scene with daylight or HDRI, and then put geometry behind windows and ConstantMTL on it. ConstantMTL is optimized to affect scene lighting as little as possible, while still provide directly visible background as well as reflections.
« Last Edit: 2013-10-09, 16:56:00 by Rawalanche »

2013-10-09, 16:55:16
Reply #9

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
no, but it depends if you have the environment as an enviro map or single view (plate). In any case, modelled enviro with material other than constantMtl is MUCH slower than enviro with constant mtl, which is in turn slightly slower than background override.

Of course if you have single view enviro, you must use a plate with constantMtl

2013-10-09, 17:04:54
Reply #10

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Ok, we are a bit confusing now, so i will try to wrap it up on what we have agreed with Keymaster:

There are 3 ways of doing background:

Geometry around the scene with CoronaMTL and enabled emission - VERY SLOW - Do not use

Geometry around the scene with ConstantMTL - FAST

Map in environment override slot - SLIGHTLY FASTER than ConstantMTL, but your map has to be spherical environment map, so photo or tiled photo wont do.

I hope this now makes sense...

2013-10-09, 17:58:57
Reply #11

Marcus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • The Subdivision
Thank you for the great input. I'll keep that in mind.
Seems to be a nice and active community.

2013-11-20, 09:53:56
Reply #12

RolandB

• Active Users
  • Corona fan
    • View Profile
    • Béhance portfolio
Thanks a lot for these precisions about the environment, it helps a lot !
And congrats for those great renders
Portfolio on Béhance
http://www.behance.net/GCStudio

2013-11-20, 15:28:40
Reply #13

teknikarsitek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok, we are a bit confusing now, so i will try to wrap it up on what we have agreed with Keymaster:

There are 3 ways of doing background:

Geometry around the scene with CoronaMTL and enabled emission - VERY SLOW - Do not use

Geometry around the scene with ConstantMTL - FAST

Map in environment override slot - SLIGHTLY FASTER than ConstantMTL, but your map has to be spherical environment map, so photo or tiled photo wont do.

I hope this now makes sense...

Rawalanche, may i ask you, regarding those 3 items u mentioned, ConstantMTL <- how to use this? is it dragged to the background slot, i tried but cannot .. also into the corona render setting on the environment tab, cannot dragged into that.

2013-11-21, 09:16:59
Reply #14

skinny_santa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
that psychedelic wood is sucking me in @___@
using corona before it was cool :3