Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] I need help!

mapping help

<< < (2/7) > >>

Erich:

--- Quote from: Aram Avetisyan on 2024-04-15, 07:27:45 ---Note that you can even use Curved decals with Corona 12 Daily builds, which should be the real use case for you I believe.

Remember to back up your scenes though when opening them with experimental/daily builds.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for letting me know. I think that will be a good addition. However, I will wait until it is officially released with Corona 12 (non-experimental)

romullus:

--- Quote from: Erich on 2024-04-14, 02:38:28 ---I have attached some images to show this versatility.

--- End quote ---

Good effort. You may want to try to add gradient ramp to decal material's opacity or displacement channel to smooth out transition between knurled and smooth parts, it's kinda harsh now.

--- Quote from: Erich on 2024-04-14, 02:38:28 ---But I am curious as to what other methods you would recommend.

--- End quote ---

You can do all that without decals by combining several materials, or maps and use several mapping channels to control placement of different elements. It might not be as convenient to use as decals, but on the other hand it's much easier to export such asset to different applications.

Erich:

--- Quote from: romullus on 2024-04-15, 09:46:56 ---Good effort. You may want to try to add gradient ramp to decal material's opacity or displacement channel to smooth out transition between knurled and smooth parts, it's kinda harsh now.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for that tip Romullus. That sounds like a great idea. I have actually used 3 decals on the bottle: 1) a clear glass decal to create an area slightly larger than the label which removes the displacement effect in and around the label, 2) a decal for the background (black) material and 3) a decal for the decal graphics. So I am assuming what you are suggesting is that I would add the gradient ramp to the 1st decal (the glass material which is removing the displacement of the bottle). I will give that a try.

--- Quote from: romullus on 2024-04-15, 09:46:56 ---You can do all that without decals by combining several materials, or maps and use several mapping channels to control placement of different elements. It might not be as convenient to use as decals, but on the other hand it's much easier to export such asset to different applications.

--- End quote ---

I would love to see how that could be done, however, I am still relatively new to Corona. Can you recommend a tutorial that shows how I could do all that, or tell me which mapping channels you would use to achieve this effect?

Erich:

--- Quote from: romullus on 2024-04-15, 09:46:56 ---You can do all that without decals by combining several materials, or maps and use several mapping channels to control placement of different elements. It might not be as convenient to use as decals, but on the other hand it's much easier to export such asset to different applications.

--- End quote ---

I was able to figure out a way to do create the area of the glass that had the displacement removed without using decals. However, I still couldn't find a way to add the actual label graphic. So I am still using the decal object for this. However, I now have another issue. I cannot get the label to display correctly. The material color I am using on the decal object (gold) is not showing up on the label. It worked fine with my previous method and as far as I can see I am using the same settings as before. I have attached a screen shot. All the text and graphics in the label should be a gold color as this is what I am using on the decal object. You can see the letter "Y" does have some gold on it, but for some reason all the other letters are black. I am really confused as to why this is happening.

The other issue I am having is if I use a black background for the label, it reflects into the liquid object inside the glass bottle. How do I prevent this from happening?

I have also included an archive of the scene. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Erich:
So, I changed the material a bit (see screenshot). I was able to finally get the gold color on the label that I was looking for. However, now, I am unsure about how to make the background immediate behind the label appear black instead of just clear. It should look like the image showing the black background but with nice gold graphics and text. Seems like I can only have one or the other (gold graphics and text with a clear background, or black background but no gold text). I am sure there is a way to do this, but I just can't seem to figure out is missing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version