Author Topic: Unreal Engine 4 for ArchViz - Thoughts?  (Read 292335 times)

2016-03-19, 09:37:22
Reply #225

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I think svogi in Cry is the same as Vxgi in ue4

It's not. Unreal has one guy trying to integrate the original nVidia's code, Crytek has full rendering research department doing this stuff :- ). It's also why CryEngine already has it fully working on soon to be released games (like Kingdom Come).
Of course, looks good enough for games only, but that's the point.

I was reading past 2 days all the tech papers about in-house engine used for Order 1866 and it's blast, these guys are maniacs. It has bunch of stuff that is way above Unreal in visual rendering technology, namely unlimited full material blending with no performance cost because of packing.
That's completely genial workflow. Instead of building giant unique shader from repeated elements, you keep stacking 'common' materials into more complex, keeping full relationship untouched. Unreal can do it, but it's like every other renderer, you will be rendering all the materials visible in particular pixel. So 8 materials, 8 times the cost. Wonder if that could be changed ? Also the 'spherical gaussian' lightmaps for rough materials, who keep correct spatiality. Unreal solves this with screen-space reflections, but those are grainy and expensive. Bunch of incredible tech. I can only wonder what other in-house engines have developed for themselves. Don't get me wrong, Unreal is superior gaming engine, super easy, super robust and oriented flexibily for any kind of game. But these in-house tools with proprietary rendering research have that edge in doing particular visual things better. (also why open-world games were and are such strong point in CryEngine).

Here are all of them: http://www.readyatdawn.com/presentations/

Here is the particular artist-oriented: https://readyatdawn.sharefile.com/share?cmd=d&id=s3187a0527304cf1b#/view/s3187a0527304cf1b?_k=ntb0zs

« Last Edit: 2016-03-19, 09:48:32 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-03-19, 10:02:14
Reply #226

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sometimes it's sad to see that some super cool engines are made only for a game or two. Such a waste of potential. It's like Konami letting Kojima build the fox engine then when mgs5 is out, they fire him. Now god knows what's gonna happen to the fox. Are they going to reuse it? maybe. Maybe not. They seems to want to focus on mobile games, where it's popular in Japan. Meh!

I'll check that out Juraj even tho it's probably too technical for me hehe!
« Last Edit: 2016-03-19, 10:09:30 by philippelamoureux »

2016-03-22, 07:48:07
Reply #227

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Photogrammetry in ue4. These are very simple scenes but it's almostt too real to be made in ue4. What do you think? the guy is supposed to post a breakdown on his website someday.

source : http://www.artbyrens.com/

2016-03-22, 09:06:53
Reply #228

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I think it looks that good because it has fully baked-in light and reflection from photos, ie. nothing is actually realtime outside of camera.

But maybe I am wrong..
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-03-22, 09:51:52
Reply #229

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No you are probably right! Having this kind of environment details rendered instantly is pretty dope tho!
Could make very nice architecture movies with all photoscanned environments since it's usually the hardest (a real pain in a game engine imo) part to model/texture!

I played with some photoscanned 3d assets from sketchfab and they look awesome in ue4! Some are very high poly tho! Gotta be careful but modern engines don't have too much problem with polycount!

2016-03-23, 00:41:30
Reply #230

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Really nice. Yeah..I also think it is baked. Problem is the materials here have very glossy to minimal reflections. If the assets were to move or are dynamic since the reflections are not realtime. The realism might not hold up.

I also rewatched the Hellbalde trailer and reflections are part of what breaks the great work the devs did. If u look at the water reflections of the tree when it burns, the reflections of flames falling to the ground are missing. Same with the ground on which Senua stands towards the end of the cinematic which is muddy water.

Unreal devs need to try and do something about realtime reflections. Wonder if it's gonna be possible this gen.

EDIT:
Seems some studios are already using unity game engine for rendering cartoons. This looks quite good especially the art style..

« Last Edit: 2016-03-26, 02:37:49 by melviso »

2016-04-01, 12:15:05
Reply #231

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
http://www.3dartistonline.com/news/2016/04/whats-new-in-unreal-4-11/
"you can make pupils dilate in relation to light sources"
Not sure if april fools... :O
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-04-01, 14:17:18
Reply #232

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think it's real. They've implemented a ton of stuff that they used in Paragon.

Also made with Unity. Adam cg movie.

2016-04-02, 05:20:10
Reply #233

JGallagher

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That Adam demo is insane.

2016-04-02, 08:10:01
Reply #234

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
The Adam demo is really good. Does anyone know if the lighting is realtime GI or baked?

Demo by Lumberyard;

The animation isn't the best but the graphics is really good. With better photorealistisc textures/materials, this could be very even miles better.

2016-04-02, 10:42:19
Reply #235

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The animation isn't the best but the graphics is really good. With better photorealistisc textures/materials, this could be very even miles better.

One of the problems with gaming engines are low poly models used, low res textures, not good enough shader tweaking and low quality antialiasing.. And maybe lack of realistic depth of field and motion blur.

You start using high or even very high poly models, maybe at least for the models close to the camera, good textures and antialiasing similar to a renderer and the results will be much better.

The Lumberyard demo posted didn't had motion blur on for some reason (among other problems). The good thing is these game engines can be pushed much further.

2016-04-02, 17:41:46
Reply #236

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
U are completely right, This could be pushed even further. At some point, I think new users might try out using higher res models, textures and better post processing settings to get better photorealism in Lumberyard.  Lumberyard supports motion blur, wondering why it was turned off for this demo or was this due to performance issues and they wanted to demonstrate the demo  working on an average pc.

Read up on 4.11 release, seems they have added light linking (lighting channels). That's +1 for lighting artists.
« Last Edit: 2016-04-02, 18:18:41 by melviso »

2016-04-05, 22:57:11
Reply #237

dubcat

• Active Users
  • ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ meow
    • View Profile
IKEA has joined the Unreal 4/Allegorithmic VR train

http://store.steampowered.com/app/447270

First comment on steam: "I played this just to steal the pencils"

___
    _] [__|OO|
   (____|___|     https://www.twitch.tv/dubca7 / https://soundcloud.com/dubca7 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) choo choo

2016-04-06, 12:22:06
Reply #238

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Wow, that's really interesting. Looks like soon VR and augmented reality will be found everywhere. I can imagine VR glasses in IKEAs where you can put them on and see the real-world interiors change colors, textures, lighting. Exciting and scary at the same time. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-04-07, 05:40:22
Reply #239

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I ''won'' a HTC vive from valve/Epic (via the unreal dev grants). They had 500 units to give away. I showed them an architectural scene  I've done with ue4 and it worked. It's awesome!

I just saw the new MODO 10 stuff and it looks like they have some enhanced workflow tools for unreal and unity built-in! Maybe something interesting even tho I find the workflow not that bad with max/ue4.

http://www.evermotion.org/articles/show/10079/modo-10-0v1-released

This is particularly interesting : Streamlined export to games engines – Now you can transfer assets between MODO and Unity or Unreal Editor 4 with shading information intact, eliminating the need to recreate shading work in the games engine editor. What’s more, exporting to games engines is now single-step operation, thanks to a new preset mechanism with ready-made presets for Unreal and Unity, and the ability to create custom presets to target additional engines. In addition meshes are now automatically triangulated on FBX export—matching MODO's internal triangulation for GL rendering and ensuring a visual match—and there’s now direct support for a range of common DDS image formats.
« Last Edit: 2016-04-08, 05:16:03 by philippelamoureux »