Author Topic: Unreal Engine 4 for ArchViz - Thoughts?  (Read 292393 times)

2015-03-07, 20:15:33
Reply #105

Stan_But

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/archdizs
I don't get this, what is wrong with unwrapping. The map doesn't need to be perfect.

But it need. So that Juraj very rightly said about slaves for unwrap (;

2015-03-07, 20:46:02
Reply #106

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't get this, what is wrong with unwrapping. The map doesn't need to be perfect.

Are you being realistic ? Try unwrapping already "baked-down" high-poly meshes like sofas or complicated chairs. Plugin or manually, it's tedious process, and every mistake shows as ugly black seam, lowering substantially visual quality.
And yes, quite to contrary of texture maps, lightmaps unwraps need to be as close to perfect for the GI as possible.

Yes, everyone can unwrap few box walls, that's not where we're getting at. Big scene with thousand of assets, lot of the high-poly hero assets, not so much.

Well.. If you'd expect it to be done in the same ammount of time as when doing regular archviz then yes.. it is a problem.. other than that it's just a bit more work.. It all depends if it's gonna be worth the time spent..

But now that you mention it, I'm gonna try and bake a lighting on a high poly sofa to see if I'm just not imagining things to be simple..

2015-03-08, 03:26:54
Reply #107

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
He he he... gladly i begin my path in 3d using the game asset ready way of the warrior... now i'm on the photorealistic path of the samurai.. No issues unwrapping here.
What i do with Corona My Corona post of random stuff rendering
WARNING: English.dll still loading...

2015-03-08, 05:27:02
Reply #108

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's not that it's an impossible job, it's because visualizers don't have the time for that. Ask Juraj about deadlines and changes clients request all the time. With Corona, most time is spent doing materials/lighting/compo and then you let your pc do the tedious task of the rendering. With unreal, YOU have to spend hours manually doing boring work and then your pc doesn't even have to work...render times are inexistant (mostly). Would you prefer a machine to work for you or vice versa lol?

More time spent unwrapping is less time spent doing composition, fine tuning materials, tuning lighting..and if a client wants a last minute change...you have to go back to uvw unwrapping. hopefully one day there will be a solution...there wil be one but it's not coming fast enough hehe!

But I still have a lot more fun building a scene in Ue4 than in 3dsmax /vray/corona...because how interactive and fast it is. Material editor is awsome and I'm starting to have a lot of fun with blueprints. Kinda like a merge of architecture and video games!

2015-03-08, 05:46:03
Reply #109

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Have you seen this last one?... environment... the last frontier.

2015-03-08, 08:17:01
Reply #110

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Another nice clean interactive viz.

« Last Edit: 2015-03-14, 04:27:07 by philippelamoureux »

2015-03-17, 20:27:50
Reply #111

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
THIS!...

2015-03-18, 04:14:15
Reply #112

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
new features of upcoming Octane Render 3.

''Advanced live texture baking: A feature that’s most beneficial for use in real-time game engines, OctaneRender 3 supports unbiased GPU texture baking (UV or volumetric) of global illumination, spherical harmonics and 8D light fields in Unreal Engine 4 and Unity plugins.''

source : http://home.otoy.com/otoy-unveils-oc...-gpu-renderer/

Is it going to be the end of UVW unwrapping lightmaps and longggg lightmass baking? Don't hold your breathe tho, when Otoy says 2nd half of 2015 they probably mean 2019...but anyway.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-18, 04:21:12 by philippelamoureux »

2015-03-18, 12:11:11
Reply #113

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Noticed that, and now I am curious how that workflow would look.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-03-18, 16:06:54
Reply #114

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We can talk about it next year, or the one after...lol

I like how otoy tease these ''dream'' solutions we can never get our hands on.

2015-03-18, 18:48:49
Reply #115

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Is it that far away :- ) ?

I had Octane licence since first alpha. Would be interesting to see what changed.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2015-03-19, 00:43:55
Reply #116

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The announcement said Octane Render 3 beta this summer and release later this year...the Ue4 plugin we don't know tho. And also, 3ds max and other software plugins usually lag behind the standalone version, which isn't nice!

2015-03-19, 10:05:30
Reply #117

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
I had Octane licence since first alpha. Would be interesting to see what changed.

After reading this I installed the octane 2 demo (I too bought the alpha years ago) and I now know why they call themselfs otoy instead of otool. No fanboy talking here, just the results of my tests. I was disappointed of 1.0, 2.0 isn't much better. Imho, all the stuff they are promising now (the Lightfield VR stuff and lightbaking) is very likely to be as much hot air as their other promises - I have no trust in Otoy as a company anymore.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2015-03-19, 23:50:37
Reply #118

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
I bought the Octane beta too. the price was, 49 euro if I remember correctly, with Radiance as unique programmer (Before he worked for Indigo).
BTH, thanks DeadClown for the review =) You saved me time to test it ;-)

2015-03-20, 00:22:02
Reply #119

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I think it was 99, I paid 49 because I got student discount or maybe later everyone got the 49 offer ?. Yeah, Radiance answered those emails personally :- ), it took good time until he hired first person, and then those kept cycling on and off.

It was lot of fun using brothers GTX285 I think it was, compared to MentalRay which we were briefly shown to use in school. Eventually very annoying salesperson started pushing FryRender, for which school got free licences as reward, that was super annoying, slow and strange and the marketing speech was downright retarded, appealing only to those of slowest mind... "It is spectral, so it's fully like real world"....yeah. But Octane very cool, made rendering fun.