Author Topic: Corona development progress  (Read 12793 times)

2012-08-27, 14:35:44

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Hi,

i know it has been a long time since any update here on the forum and that it seems quite dead. The reason that there has been so few updates is that we have been working very hard to reach beta phase.

Beta phase means Corona will have all the basic feature set necessary for production use at least in visualization segment. We have implemented a lot of features and currently focus on stabilizing them. Once that is done, beta version will be released. Beta phase will be focused on making Corona as stable and bug free as possible and prepare it for final release.

Currently, following features are implemented and being stabilized:

- Render elements with ability to be properly outputted and also saved as EXR channels. Crucial elements like matte element have been added to allow proper use of alpha masking based on material IDs, object IDs and custom selections.

- Area light directionality feature (similar you may know from Vray renderer) which allows you to gradually change light distribution of area light from diffuse to spotlight distribution.

- Bokeh lens effect for DoF has been added.

- Motion blur has been added.

- Material layering has been added via support of Blend material.

- Added custom material editor previews for more convenient material tweaking in material editor.

- Micro-triangle displacement has been added

Here are some pictures. Many of them don't look neat or impressive, but most of them were rendered with development build with no optimization (20-50 times slower than final build), which is very slow, so many of them are noisy, or have high rendertimes. In public build, those features should work fast and handle complex scenes, so don't judge based on these pictures, they are just a little sneak peek ;)

Render elements:

Matte element

Area light directionality:

Bokeh:

Motion blur:

Material layering:

Material editor previews:

Displacement:

2012-08-27, 16:25:57
Reply #1

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
you made my day :)
Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha

2012-10-18, 21:50:51
Reply #2

blouck

• Active Users
    • View Profile
nice, thanks for your work.

2012-10-18, 21:54:13
Reply #3

alieneye

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • portfolio
Corona mask is really great render element!
thank you!

2012-11-14, 02:03:48
Reply #4

yolao

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great Work.

What`s next for corona?..., what`s the roadmap?.., any aprox. date for the next release alpha or maybe a beta?

Thanks and keep going with the fantastic work!

2012-11-14, 02:07:01
Reply #5

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I'm taking a break until christmas to develop new unbiased GI algorithm for extremely difficult scenes.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2012-11-14, 12:03:26
Reply #6

hglr123

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Cool!
Thanks

2012-11-14, 14:21:01
Reply #7

Sam75

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm taking a break until christmas to develop new unbiased GI algorithm for extremely difficult scenes.

MLT ?

2012-11-14, 14:27:25
Reply #8

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

MLT ?

No, metropolis sucks (but I'll implement it some day anyway). It will be a universal method, pluggable to any other. I want to primarily add it to the VCM thing.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2012-11-14, 14:35:51
Reply #9

Sam75

• Active Users
    • View Profile

MLT ?

No, metropolis sucks (but I'll implement it some day anyway). It will be a universal method, pluggable to any other. I want to primarily add it to the VCM thing.

What is VCM ?

2012-11-14, 14:40:51
Reply #10

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
vertex connection and merging: http://smallvcm.com/

2012-11-14, 15:06:27
Reply #11

Sam75

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks promising.

2012-11-14, 19:20:00
Reply #12

yolao

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Great, thanks!

2012-11-14, 19:32:32
Reply #13

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile
Great news keymaster can't wait to see this !

2012-12-07, 02:34:48
Reply #14

Realish

The future of Corona looks amazing.

Some links to get creative juices flowing to make Corona a faster better rendering engine.

1)  http://www.mitsuba-renderer.org/
The documentation manual here is really interesting in that it talks about all these different ways people have solved rendering different things quickly in the past like bidirectional path tracing plus so much more.  I thought it was a good read.

2) http://iwantthatcake.wordpress.com/2012/02/22/real-time-radiosity-geometrics-enlighten/
Since, it's mentioned other places that if all the CPU power was used right we could have real time GI this seemed interesting that it was already done and being used in video games like Battlefield 3.  I know it's not 100% realistic, but for the rendering time taken to make the scene it's pretty great.  A super fast rendering option like this could be really useful in some cases even if some bake time is needed to start.

3)  http://realtimeradiosity.com/demos/
Links to ways people have tried to do real time GI in the past.  It's interesting the results that each method achieved.