Author Topic: 3DS Max / Corona UI Slowness + workflow issue  (Read 1618 times)

2022-09-11, 06:55:15

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys

not sure what the issue is but on a restart of the PC - corona and max feel pretty solid.  The UI is zippy in both but after some time, it gets slower and slower and then during the day i like to restart the machine to get that zipiness back.
 Im not sure what does this exactly?  does this happen to you guys?
i formatted not too long ago (3 or so months) so its still pretty fresh and i have a decently beefy machine (ryzen 3970x / 256gb ram / RTX 3080ti)

curios to see if there are others out there that are experiencing this and what you guys to to try and tackle this?

Then theres the issue of heavy scenes (ie exterior scenes with lots of forest pack vegetation and props) - the IR starts to really slow up and i was wondering here what you guys do to tackle this?  do you perhaps hide layers such as the forest pack objects etc and try and make changes (ie such as sun positioning) ?

Many thanks
Simon

2022-09-11, 10:40:44
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It's probably worth to mention what 3ds Max and Corona versions you are using, just in case that matters. Up until recently i worked with max 2016 on old pc and very old Windows 10 install and i had many issues with prolonged sessions, where Max would start throwing all kind of errors and eventually crash. Now i'm working with max 2023 on new pc and fresh Windows 10 install and i have no issues with prolonged sessions. Of course Max 2023 has many bugs and issues by itself, but they have nothing to do with how long i work without restart. The only thing that i noticed which might be related to to session length, is that Corona colour picker takes progressively longer to open - if at the start it opens in a fraction of a second, then after few hours there might be 2-3 seconds delay, which is pretty annoying. On the other hand, classic colour picker opens instantly all the time.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-09-11, 13:02:59
Reply #2

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ah yes sorry im on max 23 with daily from 08-02

so with your scenes, do you often do heavy scenes?  if so is it natural for it to slow down (material editor/pickers etc) the more polys/materials you throw at it?

It's probably worth to mention what 3ds Max and Corona versions you are using, just in case that matters. Up until recently i worked with max 2016 on old pc and very old Windows 10 install and i had many issues with prolonged sessions, where Max would start throwing all kind of errors and eventually crash. Now i'm working with max 2023 on new pc and fresh Windows 10 install and i have no issues with prolonged sessions. Of course Max 2023 has many bugs and issues by itself, but they have nothing to do with how long i work without restart. The only thing that i noticed which might be related to to session length, is that Corona colour picker takes progressively longer to open - if at the start it opens in a fraction of a second, then after few hours there might be 2-3 seconds delay, which is pretty annoying. On the other hand, classic colour picker opens instantly all the time.

2022-09-11, 14:27:39
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
To be honest, i almost never work with very heavy scenes, although it's quite subjective thing. Recently i got a pretty heavy scene with thousands of objects, over 2 thousands Corona lights, hundreds proxies, some of which contains over 20 million polys if converted to mesh. It also has quite a few 16 K+ textures, lots of badly constructed materials, half of which were not even converted from Vray. To my quite surprise, i had no issues with the scene. It was a bit on the slow side to navigate in the viewport and the first parsing took about 10-15 seconds, but everything else felt completely normal. Not sure if you'd consider such scene as particularly heavy and how this compares to your experience, but this is about as much as i can help in this regard, i think.

2022-09-11, 14:34:38
Reply #4

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thanks fo rhte insight, in such a scene, does your interactive render take 10-15 seconds to fire up?

To be honest, i almost never work with very heavy scenes, although it's quite subjective thing. Recently i got a pretty heavy scene with thousands of objects, over 2 thousands Corona lights, hundreds proxies, some of which contains over 20 million polys if converted to mesh. It also has quite a few 16 K+ textures, lots of badly constructed materials, half of which were not even converted from Vray. To my quite surprise, i had no issues with the scene. It was a bit on the slow side to navigate in the viewport and the first parsing took about 10-15 seconds, but everything else felt completely normal. Not sure if you'd consider such scene as particularly heavy and how this compares to your experience, but this is about as much as i can help in this regard, i think.

2022-09-11, 14:39:39
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Only the first time. After that it takes a second, or less. I'm not sure where from this come from, because it's happening even when i reset render settings, delete all RE, replace HDRI from ultra high to normal resolution one and isolate render only single small object. But since it only happens on the first parsing, it doesn't bother me much.