Poll

3 scatter features you want the most:

Clustering (clusters containing mostly same e.g. tree type)
58 (27.8%)
Clumping (auto-creating e.g. grass patches first and scattering them then)
22 (10.5%)
More presets in Cosmos
10 (4.8%)
Better presets in Cosmos
6 (2.9%)
Painter
36 (17.2%)
Performance optimizations
21 (10%)
1D spline scattering improvements (more options)
7 (3.3%)
Render-time displacement support
17 (8.1%)
Better motion blur support
1 (0.5%)
Scattering groups/hierarchies
12 (5.7%)
Precise collision avoidance
9 (4.3%)
More UV scattering patterns
6 (2.9%)
More viewport display modes
4 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: The most wanted Chaos Scatter feature?  (Read 5623 times)

2022-06-21, 15:16:21

mike288

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal 'Mike' Wirth
    • View Profile
We need to prioritize, as there are so many feature ideas to implement. We would like to know your preferences. Please tell us what we should consider doing first, second, ...

Each have 3 votes. You can change your mind later.
« Last Edit: 2022-06-21, 15:55:50 by mike288 »
Chaos Scatter developer | In case of crash, please send minidump | Private uploader: https://corona-renderer.com/upload

2022-06-21, 15:24:06
Reply #1

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
I like to have the ability to scale independent objects INSIDE the scatter, i have already asked for this and some one from corona just told me to scale the original object, WE don't want to scale the original objects! Please listen to the users, we are the ones using the tool, don't think as coders when asking for user feedback.
We also want as much speed as posible, right now it becomes sluggish on heavy geometry and lots of scattered objects.

2022-06-21, 15:55:03
Reply #2

mike288

• Active Users
  • Michal 'Mike' Wirth
    • View Profile
I like to have the ability to scale independent objects INSIDE the scatter, i have already asked for this and some one from corona just told me to scale the original object, WE don't want to scale the original objects! Please listen to the users, we are the ones using the tool, don't think as coders when asking for user feedback.
We also want as much speed as posible, right now it becomes sluggish on heavy geometry and lots of scattered objects.

Could you please describe in which scenario a dedicated scale control for each model would help? It is always better to describe the problem you are trying to solve, than yelling 'I need this' without telling why. We are always interested in user feedback. Just understand that things take time to design and implement. Resources are limited. We work hard, believe me.

As for the performance issues you experience, could you please provide us scenes that we could use for finding/testing optimizations?

Thank you.
Chaos Scatter developer | In case of crash, please send minidump | Private uploader: https://corona-renderer.com/upload

2022-06-21, 16:03:12
Reply #3

SnifferCZ

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I like to have the ability to scale independent objects INSIDE the scatter, i have already asked for this and some one from corona just told me to scale the original object, WE don't want to scale the original objects!

despite the fact that we have added the ability to change the scale - preserve scale mode ;)

2022-07-11, 20:48:10
Reply #4

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I voted for the following in order of importance.

Edge Trimming >>>>>>> Render time displacement support > clustering

1. Edge trimming
(out of all the options listed this is the one would save me the most time in my process.)

2. Render-time displacement support
(I was surprised how few people have voted for this feature, not having render time displacement support limits the use cases of where you can use chaos scatter)

3. Clustering is important for having natural scatters

2022-07-22, 17:23:26
Reply #5

mike288

• Active Users
  • Michal 'Mike' Wirth
    • View Profile
Noted, thanks. :-)

As for the displacement, it is at least possible to use displacement modifier (for target scatter-on objects) doing displacement on 3ds Max side.

2022-07-22, 18:49:30
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
An option to scatter instances depending on topology of the distribution object would be nice, e.g. place instances on vertices, edges, center of faces, etc.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-07-26, 16:42:18
Reply #7

Ink Visual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Being able to save user presets and load them from the "library" within scatter interface would be absolutely brilliant, that would surely help with assets management for bigger studios with multiple artists working at the same project.

2022-07-27, 11:54:56
Reply #8

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

(I was surprised how few people have voted for this feature, not having render time displacement support limits the use cases of where you can use chaos scatter)

Agree, nowadays to have a tree without any displacement looks almost cartoonish. Scattered objects must retain render-time disp.

Edge Trim, Disp and Clustering for me as well.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2022-07-27, 13:48:10
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Juraj, render-time displacement on scattered instanced is and always was supported by the scatter. The vote is for implementing support of render-time displacement for distribution object, so when you scatter trees (rocks, grass) on terrain that has displacement, scattered instances would correctly follow displaced surface.

That is exactly my vote too :]

2022-07-28, 10:48:51
Reply #10

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Juraj, render-time displacement on scattered instanced is and always was supported by the scatter. The vote is for implementing support of render-time displacement for distribution object, so when you scatter trees (rocks, grass) on terrain that has displacement, scattered instances would correctly follow displaced surface.

That is exactly my vote too :]

Oh my bad. But then again, even ForestPack was only able to precompute this last time I checked.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2022-07-31, 23:58:10
Reply #11

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Edge Trim, Clustering and the most important one: scattering on displaced geometry

2022-08-03, 20:24:17
Reply #12

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Oh my bad. But then again, even ForestPack was only able to precompute this last time I checked.

2022-08-03, 22:00:23
Reply #13

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
OMG, artist friendly workflow it is not. I'm sure Corona team would come up with much more simpler and user friendly solution.

2022-08-04, 03:42:40
Reply #14

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
OMG, artist friendly workflow it is not. I'm sure Corona team would come up with much more simpler and user friendly solution.

LOL thought the same. He ends the video:"and that's all there is to it". Jeez