Author Topic: Objects disappearing!  (Read 4245 times)

2022-02-21, 09:58:59

timg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys, new in here and stoked to be learning Corona.
Wondering if I could get some help please...
When I set up a scene in C4D with basic Corona lights and a Corona material to an object, they literally disappear when I turn on 'interactive rendering.'
I can only get the objects back once I remove the Corona lights and materials.

Thanks in advance!

2022-02-21, 13:51:51
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
We'd need more info, sorry, especially as this has not been heard of before. Which version of C4D, which version of Corona, can you screen capture a video of what happens, can you share a scene where this happens (either one with the instructions "now add  a Corona light and start IR" or one with those already added where starting IR causes the problem). Also when you mean "disappear" do you mean they are deleted from the scene? Or do you mean they still show in the viewport, but don't show in IR? Or they are still in the scene but are now invisible in the viewport?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-02-21, 13:57:19
Reply #2

ingemar

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just a stab in the dark: Did you double-check the exposure settings for the Corona Camera?

2022-02-22, 02:11:49
Reply #3

timg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the prompt responses!
I'm using an older version of C4D... R16. Corona is the first renderer that I can use (can't even install other renderers for R16). Really hoping I can use it for my work.

So the object disappears / is deleted as soon as I apply a Corona material. Preceding any lights or cameras.

When I add a Corona light, try to render in IR... still nothing.

Attached are some screenshots of what is going on, I can do a more detailed description / video if necessary. But to sum it up... Object is deleted in Viewport AND IR when material applied.
« Last Edit: 2022-02-22, 02:21:25 by timg »

2022-02-22, 05:18:35
Reply #4

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It would be good to know what version of R16 you are using exactly.
Plus: Move the light a bit more to the left, a little more along the Z axis, right now it is within the object which would make the cone bright on the inside only.

Don't use a glass material for your test, best use a default material. Like the default physical material. Maybe even attach the scene.
« Last Edit: 2022-02-22, 05:29:06 by Cinemike »

2022-02-22, 09:53:31
Reply #5

Beanzvision

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
It seems that your light and object share the same space. As suggested, move your light. Also, are you also in ''skeleton'' mode? If so, that would make your workflow a little complicated. ;)

Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2022-02-22, 10:23:07
Reply #6

timg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Cheers for the help so far guys.
I'm using R16.050 (Build RB131856).
I just did up a quick scene for the screenshot, still no object even when I move the light around the scene.
Every material I apply causes the cone to disappear.
I have tried display settings... Skeleton is off. Gouraud Shading is on.
Original scene attached...

Also attached another screenshot. This time using a C4D native light. Different Corona material (metal) applied. Object gone from Viewport but does come up in the IR.

2022-02-22, 10:29:42
Reply #7

Beanzvision

• Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
What happens when you render this scene?
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2022-02-22, 10:45:51
Reply #8

timg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Works perfect when I render your scene! Both in C4D native renderer and Corona IR.
Only issue is that the Cone disappears after 1 second when the project opens.
Screenshots attached...
« Last Edit: 2022-02-22, 11:19:50 by timg »

2022-02-22, 12:12:05
Reply #9

Beanzvision

• Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Hi,

I'm wondering if this might be related to a layout you are in. Can you try changing to something else such as ''Standard'' etc to see if that helps?

If it does, you should then save that layout as the start up default.
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2022-02-22, 18:00:36
Reply #10

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A few things that are odd about your scene.

1.  I shouldn't be able to open your scene in r20 or r25. If that is an r16 file, it would say "This scene is too old to be opened by this version of Cinema 4D." Which is why I keep r19 handy.

2.  The objects render fine even when you can't see them.

3.  Look at the image I posted. I've never seen this before, but neither Wireframe, Isoparms or Box is selected. Usually, you cannot UNcheck any of those. As soon as I pick one, every appears normal.

One last thing. In my experience opening old project files (old C4D and older Corona), I will get unusual behavior. Typically, it shows in the in IR and render everything dark like RGB vs. Linear color space. Curious if you open your scene, select everything, create a new project and paste. Do you still have these issues?

2022-02-22, 18:05:46
Reply #11

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A few things that are odd about your scene.

1.  I shouldn't be able to open your scene in r20 or r25. If that is an r16 file, it would say "This scene is too old to be opened by this version of Cinema 4D." Which is why I keep r19 handy.

3.  Look at the image I posted. I've never seen this before, but neither Wireframe, Isoparms or Box is selected. Usually, you cannot UNcheck any of those. As soon as I pick one, every appears normal.

1) Shouldn't "too old" only apply to files created with version prior to R12?

3) He used "Skeleton", a method no longer present in the current C4D versions. That is why nothing is checked, yet it is applied somehow and makes the object invisible (the old code must still be there).

Using the suggested reset of the layout and possibly getting rid of a present "new.c4d" and/or the prefs should fix his issues.

2022-02-22, 21:54:46
Reply #12

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah, I was unaware the cutoff for incompatibility was all the way back to r12.

I totally missed the skeleton post. And to think I thought I discovered something new.
« Last Edit: 2022-02-23, 17:27:21 by BigAl3D »

2022-02-23, 07:14:16
Reply #13

timg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm wondering if this might be related to a layout you are in. Can you try changing to something else such as ''Standard'' etc to see if that helps?

If it does, you should then save that layout as the start up default.

Thanks, tried that just now. Cone disappears in Viewport... However renders fine in IR.

2022-02-23, 13:03:24
Reply #14

Beanzvision

• Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Does the same thing happen if switching to the standard renderer?
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2022-02-23, 13:32:35
Reply #15

timg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Does the same thing happen if switching to the standard renderer?

Yes, objects not visible in Viewport... However render fine in standard renderer as well as IR.

2022-02-23, 14:02:45
Reply #16

Beanzvision

• Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Ok, thanks for confirming. I would suggest contacting MAXON support if it's happening without Corona being used.
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2022-02-23, 15:18:13
Reply #17

Philw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@timg What version of MacOS?

2022-02-23, 17:30:00
Reply #18

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't see a mention of which version of Corona you're running. Could it be v8 doesn't play nice with C4D r16 from 2014?

2022-02-23, 17:46:27
Reply #19

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@timg Could you try and delete (or rename) the prefs directory to start with fresh ones?
And is there a new.c4d or template.c4d or the like in your C4D root directory?

2022-02-24, 00:37:40
Reply #20

timg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok, thanks for confirming. I would suggest contacting MAXON support if it's happening without Corona being used.

Thanks for your help too. I use C4D all the time, and the objects only disappear when I use Corona unfortunately. I'll try Maxon though.

2022-02-24, 00:38:31
Reply #21

timg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@timg What version of MacOS?

Big Sur v11.4

2022-02-24, 04:32:01
Reply #22

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maxon will only tell you "Sorry, that sounds like Corona issue. You should talk to them."

2022-02-24, 09:14:36
Reply #23

Philw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I’m surprised it even runs on Big Sur to be honest!

2022-02-24, 18:47:22
Reply #24

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Ah, yes, you are right. It is probably compatible enough to have it running at least, but not with full functionality. Maybe adding a Corona material internally switches to Skeleton mode, who knows.

My last idea would be to switch on this option (bottom of the screenshot) in the prefs, it usually is not a good idea to use it but maybe it actually helps in this case.

2022-03-01, 05:10:31
Reply #25

timg

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Ah, yes, you are right. It is probably compatible enough to have it running at least, but not with full functionality. Maybe adding a Corona material internally switches to Skeleton mode, who knows.

My last idea would be to switch on this option (bottom of the screenshot) in the prefs, it usually is not a good idea to use it but maybe it actually helps in this case.

Tried that preferences selection, however objects have still vanished. I might try to update my operating system to Monterey and see how I go then. Thanks!

2022-03-01, 14:12:11
Reply #26

Beanzvision

• Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Hi, that would be great. I hope it helps. I look forward to your response. Fingers crossed ;)
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!