Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] Feature Requests

Distance texture set to other Material/MatID

(1/1)

matsu:
Problem: I create a nice material using distance texture, and link the distance to geometry or splines in the scene. I add the material to my library. I open the material in another scene, and get the red "error texture" all over my materials since to objects it was refering to isn't in the scene.

Solution: Add an option to set the distance from another material. In this way you can create great masks by using various Multi/sub materials, which will carry over no matter the geometry.

If this isn't possible, please keep the name of the deleted objects, instead of just having it say "<deleted>". Would make debugging a lot easier.

Ondra:
but the material would be also copied, so it couldnt pair up with the original one in the new scene... right?

matsu:
Well, if you keep the material name the same, it shouldn't be any problem.

Like, if I want to make a material called "Gravel" and I want it to be 200mm in proximity to a material called "Asphalt" then thouse names should carry over as long as the names stay the same.
I usually group my materials in Muliti/Subs, and if you link to materials within the same Multi/Sub the naming issue isn't any problem.

Another idea would be to set it to MatID or even ObjectID instead of specific objects.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version