Author Topic: max keeps crashing  (Read 3360 times)

2016-10-25, 09:59:30

Dexyd

• Active Users
  • Don't be a thief of your own life....
    • View Profile
    • Dexyd
Max 2016 & 2017 keep crashing when using corona (and Railclone).
So I did a fresh windows install the other day (format c:) And reinstalled everything. But since then my max/corona is super unstable.
A lot of times when I want to render a second or third time in a max session, it freezes and crashes. Occasionally it creates a dumpfile, but most of the times it simply crashes to desktop or reboots. I even get a lot of BSOD's with diffrent errors :( (Clock Watchdog timeout, Whea Uncorrectable Error e.a.)

Most of the times it happens after I canceled a renderjob, or when I'm fiddling around with the lightmixer. And it seems Railclone makes it happen a bit more often.
I did a memory test and a CPU test, and don't get any errors there.

I installed the latest servicepack and use the most up to date corona and ITOOsoftware-stuff

Any ideas?

2016-10-25, 14:59:15
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Sorry to hear that... Can you send us any minidumps you can get? You can get them even if no "autodesk reporting" window shows up: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000524006-how-to-report-issues-

BSODS are not a very good sign. They cannot be triggered by software. I'm afraid it could be hardware, or bad drivers. What is written in the BSODs you see?

Also, is this happening ONLY in scenes with Corona and iToo plugins?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-10-25, 15:01:38
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Sounds like it isn't the software causing the crashes as such, just when something has a high load on the CPU it increases the chance of the error popping up? A google search on the clock watchdog error turns up these kind of causes:

Incorrectly configured or old corrupted drivers.
Corrupted windows registry.
Driver conflict after installing new driver.
Damaged or corrupted system file.
Malware infection.
Damaged disk drive.
RAM (Memory) corruption.

Overclocking can also lead to that, I think that's where I ran into it the most.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2016-10-26, 08:17:06
Reply #3

Dexyd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Dexyd
Well I did a complete clean win 10 install. All software and drivers are up tu date.

Guess there will be no other option then to test one hardware compenent at the time to see if its hardware related.

2016-10-26, 12:36:23
Reply #4

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
it may be because of win 10 issue, i have some problem too, 3ds max won't unload at exit, and stay in process, so it prevents to start photoshop, this problem also on clean windows 10 with anniversary update, which was not on older version of win10. so my advice try to install win 10 before build 1607 it may help.
Try to google error in bsod, and to look events journal  in windows for errors of 3ds max

2016-10-26, 21:14:14
Reply #5

Dexyd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Dexyd
well, apparently my cooler came a bit loose....