Author Topic: What's your favorite HID?  (Read 3518 times)

2020-05-09, 03:24:15

Pepelecrabb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The third leg of our working world that gets mostly overlooked. Yes, that's right...what us in the Mac world would commonly refer to as a mouse, Microsoft's logic calls it your Human Input Device.

For a couple of years now I have been using a Bluetooth Logitech 720. It has 8  buttons that can be programmed to any application specific keyboard shortcut or gesture. Pan, orbit or zoom with 1 click, it worked flawless for me from day one until I got a new PC. Now it looks like I have to get a wired human input device of some sort since I cannot get this thing to work reliably more then about 24" away from my new PC. 14" it works fine but unfortunately I cannot train my left hand new tricks.

So it looks like I need to buy a wired mouse (and keyboard) and take a course in anger management. I have spent hours upon hours installing and uninstalling drivers and deep diving into the underbelly of microsoft only to have the football yanked away just when I think I've got it.

Or, a second option, I still have a week or so that I could return the motherboard (Gigabyte AMD TRX40 Pro) and get something else that does have reliable Bluetooth. But I really think it's Windows not hardware. I've tried the usb dongle too and it was worse then built-in bluetooth.

2020-05-09, 18:55:31
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'm using Logitech m705, just because i couldn't find anything better for my seemingly unpretentious requirements - wireless, additional buttons for undo/redo and laser tracking. Heck, the new generation doesn't even sport laser anymore. Overall it's ok mouse, but the middle button is horrible - i had to install additional software to disable side scrolling, otherwise it would be unusable.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-05-10, 14:09:34
Reply #2

Pepelecrabb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Rom, I looked at the M705, it's pretty much the same as the M720 that I have except the 720 has one extra button for the thumb which I don't know what to do with anyway. Same price so why not. Plus the button to switch to up to 3 different computers which I didn't think I'd use but I do. I find the Logitech Options software to be very nice.
Button assignment isn't much help in 3ds max since I can't assign pan or orbit so that still takes 2 hands but they are very useful in cinema 4d and adobe apps.

I was wondering if people liked these new fangled vertical mice or the high priced track balls? I do have a wacom tablet collecting dust. I get much more precision with a mouse.

And an addendum...after one more late night web search last night, I finally found the answer on how to get bluetooth functioning reliably from this Gigabyte motherboard. It turns out that the bluetooth and wifi are tied together therefore I have to have the wifi mega-antenna attached to get any bluetooth range. So thankfully I can now use my Logitech M720 Triathlon again.

2020-05-10, 16:38:01
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-05-10, 16:42:49
Reply #4

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I use a Logitec mouse for 9,95 EUR from 2012. :))))))
The simpler the better for me. Despite also having a pro classical piano education, I don't appreciate too many keys on a mouse. LOL
Short cuts on the keyboard and a freakin cheap mouse with simple & good ergonomics.

2020-05-12, 12:57:52
Reply #5

Pepelecrabb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Maru, That's what I was looking for.

2020-05-12, 14:49:38
Reply #6

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Evoluent Vertical Mouse - heaps better on the wrist!  Once you get used to it after a day or so, its much faster especially with one of the buttons being dedicated to a double click.

2020-05-20, 12:39:29
Reply #7

Pepelecrabb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Shortcirkuit, That looks like one of the better verticle mice i have seen although quite pricy.

2020-05-20, 22:57:31
Reply #8

nauticus25

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I had two Evoluent mice. Very comfortable, but the build quality was lacking, especially for an $80 mouse. On one, the rubber detached from the scroll wheel and would just spin without actually scrolling. The other, the usb controller flaked out and would rapidly connect/disconnect. On both, the chrome and rubber coatings deteriorated after a year or so. Both were out of warranty, so Evoluent wouldn't replace them. The Anker vertical mouse has the same comfy form factor as the Evoluent, and is only $20. I did have one die after a couple of years, but like I said, it's only $20. The wireless version is nice, but I'm having interference issues when the receiver is plugged into the same USB bus (I know, that's like saying ATM machine) as something else, so I'm going to pick up the wired version.
i9-12900K @ 3.2GHz, 64GB RAM, 3090ti
Max 2024, Corona 10

2020-05-21, 10:28:17
Reply #9

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The way  i see it - its a small price to pay to avoid wrist pain which i was getting previously.  They are a bit plastic feeling, but its been years.  Ive tried a heap of mouses, its far better than anything else ive tried.  The double click middle button is awesome!  i mena, we spend half the day double clicking right :)

Thanks Shortcirkuit, That looks like one of the better verticle mice i have seen although quite pricy.