Author Topic: How do I make an infinite surface with shadowcatcher  (Read 3278 times)

2017-10-13, 17:03:17

Pepelecrabb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Need to make an infinite white studio surface.

Thanks

2017-10-13, 17:20:44
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Hey,

First create a large floor (I use a giant plane). Then apply the Corona "Shadowcatcher Material" to the said floor. Inside the Shadowcatcher set the mode to "Enviornment", Alpha mode to "Always Solid". Then plug in a basic corona material that will define the background (Usually its just a white diffuse material). Open up the render settings and under "Scene environment" find "Direct visibility override". In there plug in that same basic corona material. Adjust that for the color of the background.

The plane is what is going to catch the shadows so technically you just need a "big enough" plane so that it covers all the areas where the objects will cast shadows. The basic material you'll apply will define the background which will match the floor so you won't see any seams of where the floor ends.

Hope that helps ;)
« Last Edit: 2017-10-13, 17:29:19 by nkilar »
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2017-10-13, 19:18:10
Reply #2

Pepelecrabb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks so much for the help, but I am still getting a seam. Here is a scene file.

2017-10-13, 21:23:14
Reply #3

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
modified your scene a bit (attached)

note:
- observe how lights in Corona behave (they also create shadows)
- avoid using pure white, creates issues with shadow catcher - bright areas
- every object in the scene throwing a shadow has an impact on the shadow catcher

take care

2017-10-13, 22:39:58
Reply #4

Pepelecrabb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for you time. Duly noted. I did notice that if I removed everything except the overhead light that the seamless background would be achieved. So I could see that my fill cards were causing shadows as well.

All the best,
Mike