Author Topic: What are these jagged edges? Anti aliasing problem?  (Read 4600 times)

2017-01-14, 07:30:12

@matrix

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can anyone explain to me what these jagged edges are, they have been showing up in a few of my renders and how to get rid of it> thanks
« Last Edit: 2017-01-14, 22:11:06 by @matrix »

2017-01-16, 14:46:57
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The advice in this video may help:

(Also, since the video was made, it's also possible to use a small amount of bloom & glare to smooth jagged edges).
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2017-01-17, 05:20:59
Reply #2

SharpEars

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The advice in this video may help...
[video link]
(Also, since the video was made, it's also possible to use a small amount of bloom & glare to smooth jagged edges).

So, the final advice in this video is to use highlight clamping to reduce "the jaggies." My question is: Is it not preferable to do highlight clamping in post processing (e.g., Photoshop) or is there a disadvantage to doing it this way (i.e., does Corona have more information available to it during the render that it can somehow use to produce a better clamped scene)?

Because, if there is no disadvantage to highlight clamping in post-proc, that seems like the best solution since you defer the choice of whether to do it or not to a later time and you can do so in a lossless and selective manner in post-processing. If you highlight clamp during the render itself, the clamped highlight information is irrecoverably lost.

2017-01-17, 17:07:25
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
So, the final advice in this video is to use highlight clamping to reduce "the jaggies." My question is: Is it not preferable to do highlight clamping in post processing (e.g., Photoshop) or is there a disadvantage to doing it this way (i.e., does Corona have more information available to it during the render that it can somehow use to produce a better clamped scene)?
There should be no difference, so no disadvantage either.

Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-01-17, 20:25:40
Reply #4

SharpEars

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There should be no difference, so no disadvantage either.

There is definitely an advantage to doing this in post-processing outside of Corona - namely that it can be done selectively (via masks to include only certain parts of the image), with more granularity (via curves or whatever to do the clamping/reduction), and non-destructively (to the original rendered EXR HDRI image).