Author Topic: Corona Sky "Visible directly" no longer works? v7.0 daily (Jan 22 2021) Bug?  (Read 2776 times)

2021-01-27, 17:27:40

monsieurblack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all

Firstly, I've already submitted this more formally as a possible bug, but thought I'd do a quick post here to see if anyone else has experienced this in the new (v7 / Jan 22 2021) daily build.

It seems for me that the "Visible directly" option in the "Corona Sky" object no longer works?

Unchecking this seemingly does not change its behaviour and I am still able to see my .HDR file when rendering.

I have some scenes where we use the Corona Sun object to cast a little illumination and create a nice defined shadow and a Corona Sky object with the .HDR file adds in a much more of the illumination and provides us with nice reflections too.

Previously we could simply uncheck this "Visible directly" checkbox and it would no longer be seen in the render, this now longer appears to be the case unfortunately.

Is anyone else able to confirm this please?

2021-01-27, 17:48:35
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Working as expected here in a test scene (cube, Corona Sky object set to HDRI - Visible Directly checked, I see the HDRI, when unchecked, I get a black background).

Can you share example renders, grabs of the sky set up, the scene, etc.? (At least for the bug report, if those things were not included in it).
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-01-27, 21:20:04
Reply #2

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Same here, all Sky Types work as expected // W10, C4D 23.110, CRN7 latest daily
More info and system specs would be helpful.

2021-01-28, 09:33:48
Reply #3

mmarcotic

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
I have to side with Tom as well, just tested this in a Cube + Sky(HDRI) scene and everything works as expected for me.
Could you please add the following details?
C4D version:
Corona version:
Scene (or a minimal version of it in which the issue occurs):

Thank you,
Jan
Learn how to report bugs for Corona in C4D here.

2021-01-28, 11:45:21
Reply #4

monsieurblack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hhhmmm, thanks all. Appreciate the replies and for checking it out.

It's clearly something I'm doing wrong my end (user error!) so apologies there.

Will try and mock-up a file (or strip one down that doesn't appear to be working) and share it and would be great to get pointers as to why I seem to be getting the behaviour I am.

In the mean time my machine specs are as follows...

Corona v7.0 daily Jan 22 2021
Cinema 4D R23.110
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
96 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB

Thanks again

2021-01-28, 11:56:18
Reply #5

monsieurblack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hi again

here's a link to a file where I appear to be running into the problem (?)
https://www.dropbox.com/t/QfWf4PZlp9l4fp8L
(expires in a day or so)

Let me know if you need anything else and would appreciate maybe a nudge in the right direction as to how to do it the 'right' way if as it appears we're clearly doing something wrong here. Although it did seem to work on previous versions?

Anyway, thanks in advance

2021-01-28, 12:59:09
Reply #6

mmarcotic

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
Hi, we have noticed that Mac verison of Corona has been having this issue and we'll investigate. User in here https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=32216.0 also had the issue and managed to work around it, so you can try and reach him, while we work on this.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Jan

(Internal ID=632210137)
« Last Edit: 2021-01-28, 13:03:39 by mmarcotic »
Learn how to report bugs for Corona in C4D here.

2021-01-28, 14:03:13
Reply #7

monsieurblack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Jan

Thanks so much for looking into this for us and honestly not a problem, these things happen and besides, it is using a daily build so these little things can be expected and more than OK.

Never had any particular training as such and just jumped into using Corona and definitely thought we might have been doing something wrong and wouldn't have surprised me to hear this :)

Thanks again for catching it and for such a great renderer, totally transformed how we work.

2021-01-29, 00:48:34
Reply #8

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I was the other Mac user that experienced this problem with the Sky Object, as well as the Background Object not working correctly. Since I'm using a shadow catcher to render my cars and their shadows into a backplate, my workaround only applies that scenario. I put a curved backdrop as my floor and up and out of camera view with the Shadow Catcher material. Large enough to give me a nice flat area for my objects and wide enough to encompass my camera. I also have a Composting Tag with everything disabled except Seen By Camera. So matter what direction I look at my objects, the backplate will fill the entire background and the shadows care composited as well. I guess the other issue is if the sides my "bowl" idea are too tall, it may block lighting and reflections from the HDRI setup, but since I'm just using this for setting up my objects, I haven't looked into that issue.

2021-02-01, 10:26:43
Reply #9

monsieurblack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there. Looks like we're experiencing the same issues.

Appreciate the heads on your workaround, thanks for sharing.