Author Topic: Increase of rendertime with size of render / blue complexion with sky  (Read 4277 times)

2018-01-23, 14:12:06

atin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I have a short question: when I render my image out, for example 70x50cm or 95x65 cm (72dpi), the render seems to be constantly fast and quick (2-4 hours). When I icrease the size to for example 150cmx100cm(72dpi, too), the render takes unproportional extrem long and goes up to 50 hours. What can I do without loosing the quality? Can I change settings?

I use a 4light-Mix and I use the latest corona Version.
« Last Edit: 2018-01-23, 16:27:24 by edin_2016 »

2018-01-23, 14:23:03
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
My guess is you are running out of memory at the larger resolutions - bear in mind that each LightSelect layer needs more memory, and each Denoising pass needs more memory. As resolution goes up, the memory needed by those goes up too.

When memory gets low, things start paging from disk and are significantly slower. Have you checked your memory usage with the larger resolutions, and how much memory does your machine have?

Thanks!
   Tom
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-01-23, 14:28:09
Reply #2

atin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks,

I have 8GB and the initial pass takes very long when the image has more than 100cmx75cm. CPU is very low in this period, Ram is up to 99%. I need the 150cmx100cm so what can I do? I the attachment the project info.

2018-01-23, 14:45:03
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Removing LightSelect passes would reduce RAM (you can always save LightSelect setups, and load a setup, bake it to the scene, then delete the LightSelects; reload the original scene, load the next LightSelect, etc.) This will remove the memory requirements of the extra render elements.

You could also avoid using Denoising - this could be done either by saving the data for later and denoising in the Corona Image Editor, but if that doesn't save enough memory, you may find it is faster to render by turning off Denoising and rendering for more passes - if that avoids the low memory situation, then the render time may be less to get to the same quality.

And of course, adding more memory is the best solution, so that you don't have to optimize the scene or workflow to account for low memory scenarios!

2018-01-23, 14:47:42
Reply #4

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. 8GB is the minimum requirement just to run Max. So as Tom wrote, you're probably running out of RAM. The only solution: Buy more RAM (I would advise no less than 32GB).

2018-01-23, 14:50:19
Reply #5

atin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Okay, can I make this with my chpset:

Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 - 1E10

or would a new PC be better?

2018-01-23, 15:34:39
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry, I don't know from that info, not sure if anyone else does. The thing to find out would be how many memory slots your motherboard has, and what type of memory it is. Should be able to find this out by looking up the specs for your motherboard, or the specs for your computer. You may have free slots, and can add memory that way, or all slots may be full and you'd have to replace whatever memory is in there already. Generally, it would be quite possible to increase your memory rather than buy a whole new machine (I did that on my laptop not so long ago, to upgrade it from 8 to 24 Gb)

2018-01-23, 15:59:05
Reply #7

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Used to be fun in solving puzzles instead of brute forcing the head through the wall... ayayaay... and here's a solution from ancient times, before the 3GB RAM limit was broken :p

& It still does the magic :)

You can split any wanted size into smaller parts/tiles with TILED CAMERA (works with any engine that plugs in C4D)
Use Content Browsers Search or Look under "Presets>Prime>Presets>Tools&Helpers"

You then stitch those in your favorite image editor app... or use the script with PS "Tile Camera Auto Restitcher script for Photoshop" (@ CGSociety)
« Last Edit: 2018-01-23, 16:02:44 by burnin »

2018-01-23, 16:23:36
Reply #8

atin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the Help, this is an awesome forum!

One last thing: I just don't figure out how to erase this "blue" look (picture 1) when I render with corona sky and without lightmix. When I use HDRI or Lightmix I can change the color of the Sky and everything is fine,, but without lightmix and without a hdri my picture is always so "blue" (I defined the intensitiy of the lights manually and deletet multi pass light mix, now the render is much faster!)

Look at the images attached.

Can you help one last time for now please? I dont know how to make a realistic daylight with corona sky.

2018-01-23, 17:07:09
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Most of all you need a sun to have realistic enviro lighting. It will also counteract the sky, so you will get more neutrally-tinted image. Another idea is to leave the sky blue as it is, and use color temperature in the VFB to fix the tint.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us