Author Topic: PBR shader discussion  (Read 11166 times)

2020-04-16, 16:04:34
Reply #30

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
@Fluss,

Heh, I was watching that presentation as soon it went live. Otoy has been rolling lately imho :) One thing to add to the above, they also plan on implementing a Multi Scatter GGX BRDF. I doubt it will be in 2020.2 because Jules did put it into "we are working on it" list but yeah, super great to hear!
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2020-04-16, 16:39:25
Reply #31

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Agree, they really raised the bar lately.. I'm especially impressed by the decentralized render farm. I wasn't expecting them to launch it so quickly. I was watching the advances of golem cryptocurrency but I have to admit that RNDR looks far more solid, especially with the announcement of Autodesk joining the train.

Also, that render on IPhone GPU is impressive ! Can't see any usage for this but tech wise it' pretty cool

Also, it's color managed, so you can work in ACES. I still can't believe 3ds max still isn't implementing color management.. Especially considering Autodesk has one of the ACES implementations with Maya Syncolor (not LUT used, pure CTL code).

And yep, Multi Scatter GGX BRDF is adopted everywhere... Arnold, Clarisse, Octane, 3Delight, etc etc... Things go fast
« Last Edit: 2020-04-16, 17:00:54 by Fluss »

2020-04-16, 17:14:09
Reply #32

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Heh, yep, I mean subjectively I think 2018+ releases really got better and they stuck to their roadmaps more - I am quite happy with all they developed in the last couple of years. The roadmap moving forward also, to me at least, seems really great.

The RNDR framework is quite something. I actually gave it a go on a simpler scene and well... It worked super great. I do think they are looking into solving some issues with complex scenes and all that but my experience so far (on that one project) was stellar. The render job came back quick, it was as excepted and the previews for the project (it was an animation) all displayed properly.

I am also super fascinated with their work on Vulkan as supposedly most of Octane is actually already running on Vulkan / GLSL. I'm really intrigued as to how the ecosystem would open up once more hw vendors start getting in on it. I'm actually happy to see that the broader community is also quite interested in seeing how that develops especially since the other hardware vendors are also getting in on the RT game. I'm giving Otoy major props for pushing in that direction.

As for the thing being ACES color managed - There is still no OCIO but you can export in ACES. So basically in my opinion its still not production ready from the ACES standpoint but I think they've mentioned a couple of times that its going to get gradually better. I think, but don't hold me to it, I think they improved the color management in the standalone and added ACES exports as the first step. You also have control over sRGB / Float type of imports but that's been in there since forever.

So yeah, I mean I'm really excited about what they are doing. It goes without saying, I'm also excited to see what the Corona folks have going in the CPU front. :P

2020-04-16, 17:33:13
Reply #33

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As for the thing being ACES color managed - There is still no OCIO but you can export in ACES. So basically in my opinion its still not production ready from the ACES standpoint but I think they've mentioned a couple of times that its going to get gradually better. I think, but don't hold me to it, I think they improved the color management in the standalone and added ACES exports as the first step. You also have control over sRGB / Float type of imports but that's been in there since forever.

Hmmm, interesting, I didn't notice that. That said I suppose it's handled a bit differently as it's a spectral renderer. There shouldn't be the need for pre-converting to ACEScg as it is already translating everything to spectral data (I assume it's XYZ). So the transform is probably translating XYZ to ACEScg.

2020-04-17, 14:34:47
Reply #34

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Yeah, I know nothing about how a spectral renderer does things :)) I barely know how RGB renderers work so that adds another level of complexion that is honestly way beyond me...

If you've went through the GTC talk by Jules then you'll see that they plan on adding OCIO support which would then probably enable you importing ACES corrected textures as well as viewing the image with the ACES transforms. That's pretty much all I know, ha! :)

2020-04-26, 14:27:17
Reply #35

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Am i understanding correctly that autodesk are looking to implement an industry standard material definition?

2020-04-27, 11:21:31
Reply #36

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Am i understanding correctly that autodesk are looking to implement an industry standard material definition?

Yes, you can see the whitepaper here: https://autodesk.github.io/standard-surface/

2020-04-27, 12:26:05
Reply #37

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Yes, you can see the whitepaper here: https://autodesk.github.io/standard-surface/

This is nice to see. Hopefully a bit of interoperability will make everyones lives easier.

2020-04-27, 18:39:55
Reply #38

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
And an OSL reference is available at:
https://github.com/Autodesk/standard-surface/blob/master/reference/standard_surface.osl

PS
Did a quick test and doesn't seem to work w/ appleseed, cycles, vray = crashes or outputs pitch black
« Last Edit: 2020-04-27, 19:08:11 by burnin »