Author Topic: New user some questions - distributed rendering -  (Read 3544 times)

2013-09-19, 21:55:51

Correntes

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • PRESSRENDER
Hello guys,

Brand new Corona user here! =)
I real hope that we can migrate from vray to corona in a near future (real near... like in a commissioned  job or two =) )

The reason:

Tired of messing with DMC mumbo jumbo and brute force never ending renders...

Already doing some tests with version V05 has I'm writing this post !

Already have some questions:

1- I see that distributed rendering is already in development, that's awesome ! Do you have some timetable for a stable release ? This one is the most important question right now for me !

2- I saw in some post that in general we should use PT-PT for exteriors and PT-HD for interiors, is this right ?

3 - Should I mess with the settings to achieve more speed or for now use the standard ones ?

4 - Right now, can i use vray domelight and vray camera with corona ? (Using some basic domelight+hdri setup)

5 - About materials: is Corona limited in some way about materials physical  properties? (Mind you that I'm in archviz business, so its all about that "every day materials")

6 - Can I use VrayDisplacement modifier with Corona ?

Cya

« Last Edit: 2013-09-19, 22:06:55 by Correntes »

2013-09-19, 22:05:17
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
hi and welcome,

1: end of the year. It is already available in daily builds, that you can get after some time using Corona
2: yes
3: most times you dont have to change anything except for secondary solver (PT vs HD), path tracing samples, and light samples multiplier (when using DOF or complicated lighting setup, respectively)
4: you can use vray camera, it has the basic perspective camera functionality. In A5 you must use Corona lights or emissive materials
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-09-19, 22:17:19
Reply #2

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
ad 4, there is no need to use something like VrayDome light because corona already projects environment on a direct light basis. So you can either set solid color to scene environment, or use a texture in the environment slot, and it will work just fine and crisp like VrayDome does.

5, Corona currently offers basic universal material that offers flexibility similar to the VrayMTL. So almost everything that can be achieved with VrayMTL (Except SSS), or Arch&Design mental ray material should be achievable with CoronaMTL. Every day materials are easily achievable, and even unrealistic ones are not much of a problem.

6, VrayDisplacement does not work with Corona and probably never will. It is not regular object modifier like rest of Max modifiers. It is more of a UI to send data to Vray, which is then processed at rendertime, so it happens inside of Vray, not Max. Do not count on many Vray features to be supported. Corona is not a Vray plugin, but a separate renderer ;)

2013-09-19, 22:43:04
Reply #3

Correntes

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • PRESSRENDER
Thank you very much !

SO  i just need to drop the hdri in environment slot (max or corona ?) as a normal image ?

About the displacement thing, can we expect to see a CoronaDisplacement modifier in the future ?

2013-09-19, 22:47:18
Reply #4

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Thank you very much !

SO  i just need to drop the hdri in environment slot (max or corona ?) as a normal image ?

About the displacement thing, can we expect to see a CoronaDisplacement modifier in the future ?

Yes, just put HDRI in environment slot. Primary way is to use global 3ds Max environment slot. Or alternatively you can override it with Corona's own slot in render settings.

Displacement is possible right now by connecting a bitmap into displacement slot of CoronaMTL. It does not have nearly as many options as VrayDisplacement, but should do the trick. There may be modifier in the future...  and there will be definitely added more displacement options to suit production needs, such as negative displacement, heightmap center, stability and performance improvements, etc... ;)