Author Topic: Volumetric Lighting on specific Light Fixtures for Stage Designers  (Read 3490 times)

2019-06-10, 20:59:44

Levon

• Users
    • View Profile
As a stage designer I frequently encounter the problem to create dramatic lighting effects. In the native cinema renderer I could specify which light creates volumetrics. That ability helped alot to create a nice lighting design. In corona I am left with just the global volume to solve this and extremely unsatisfying render times. The global volume also comes with the problem that it badly affects the whole scene appearance. Because it is mostly designed for daylight use in a naturalistic environment. Also i would need a way to create realistic gobo light effects for actual stage lighting design, can you try to achieve this?
If not, could you activate the volumetric lighting and visible lighting effects from inside cinema within the corona render engine?
« Last Edit: 2019-06-10, 21:04:37 by Levon »

2019-06-10, 21:42:13
Reply #1

Luminaire

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Your two renderings look quite nice.  I do stage renderings as well, working in 3DS Max.  You use Cinema4D?  Do you do your plots in Vectorworks?

2019-06-11, 03:47:47
Reply #2

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
I had the same problem. To get around this currently, I do a render without any volumetrics. Then I do a second render and select all of the objects in the scene and add them to the 'Render Selected' list, then invert the list to exclude those objects. This effectively makes those objects 'matte' (or 'holdout').

For a 2k image, I am averaging about 15 minutes a frame for my volume pass, with all of the individual light selects of the volume for complete control.

2019-06-11, 11:28:04
Reply #3

Levon

• Users
    • View Profile
i am only working with cinema 4d now, but i got a few colleagues providing me with scenes from vector works sometimes.

My current workaround is a second render where i render everything with one black material in the cinema renderer to get the native volumetric effects from there. Afterwards I multiply these two renders in Photoshop. :/
I wish Corona would at least allow native Cinema volumetrics in their render engine, so lighting designers can benefit from coronas realism and also have all the lighting effects from cinema right there.
The Corona volumetrics are simply not designed for this as for now.

2019-06-11, 12:18:23
Reply #4

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
You shouldn't multiply, the correct operation for combining a volumetrics pass is addition.

Btw, here is an example of what I mentioned above. Each of those different volumetric light source have their own light select AOV for greater control.

2019-06-11, 12:26:20
Reply #5

Levon

• Users
    • View Profile
Njen, I am getting your point. My problem there is still that I cannot exclude 30 Light sources in the room and then have my 50 or more stage lighting fx to be affected by volumetrics exclusively. There needs to be a point where you can choose what light can be excluded from volumetrics at least. But then you end up with the next challenge, creating the clustered gobo effects. in Cinema i can use the native lights from C4D to create gobo lighting, but not the volumetric effect unfortunately.

2019-06-11, 17:48:50
Reply #6

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
I never said this was ideal, I was only offering up a work around.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-11, 18:42:39 by Njen »