Author Topic: Bitmap Transform_source(FStorm) or Mapping_source(VRay) feature  (Read 3108 times)

2021-04-22, 13:37:35

helionic

• Users
    • View Profile
It would be great if we ad a possibility to bath control UV values with one bitmap source to control transforms in all channels in one material.
Something similar like you have done with "Use settings from map" in Corona Color Correct Texmap.
It might be combined also with randomize option and/or color correct(optionally).

2021-04-23, 09:07:44
Reply #1

amiresmaeilzadeh

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2021-04-23, 12:10:25
Reply #2

Alexandre Besson

• Active Users
  • http://www.alexandre-besson.com
    • View Profile
    • Alexandre Besson portfolio

2023-03-29, 07:04:27
Reply #3

OakCorp

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • OakCorp Japan
This feature is very important when scaling textures for assets.
Currently, Diffuse, Roughness, Bump, Normal, Metalness all need to be scaled on the channel, which is very troublesome. Take time away from creativity.
OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
oakcorp.net
v-ray.jp

2023-04-03, 22:35:49
Reply #4

brr

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2023-04-04, 09:33:15
Reply #5

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
use controllers for that:
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2023-04-04, 11:28:03
Reply #6

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Controllers like above aren't solution, I've been using them for 2-3 years and it's great hassle.
First, it takes a lot of time to make them for single big node (like Trip or Randomizer), but you can save them as preset into your library.
Instancing them is only easy the first time you do it, after every reload of 3dsMax, controllers get hidden and need to get unhidded. Can be scripted to avoid but another step of busy-work.
Lastly, after being used on two nodes at least (like Trip&Rand at same time), it creates horrible mess of layout to the shader that affects readability. Or hide them and then you can't instance them.

It just sucks. Mapping node is simple and elegant solution.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2023-04-04, 12:33:18
Reply #7

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
not the right connection on my screenshot - uvw scale and not tiling. one bezier color controler, even cleaner.

when controller is hidden you can adjust one of uvw scale spinners, all maps will update.
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2023-04-04, 12:47:49
Reply #8

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
and this should I guess fix the "disappearing" controllers issue:
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2023-04-04, 14:34:18
Reply #9

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I really want to post a screenshot of my uber-shader which utilizes like 500 (Float, Bezier, Etc,.) Controllers to really drive home the idea Controllers are not meant for this :- ). And I use that for 80perc. of my material library.

So in more complex answer:

1) Obviously controllers work as well when hidden, what would be their point otherwise :- )? But when they are hidden, they can't be instanced properly. This may be current Slate limitation, haven't tried 2024 if the new one is constantly aware of hidden parameters.
2) When they are unhidden though, they created absolute mess, simple 5 texture Shader takes full-screen page. That's the whole point of hidding additional parameters. You don't want them to be unhidden all the time.

That means constant back n forth hassle between manipulating shader, and manipulating controller instancing when extending their use.

It's not in way whatsover replacement for proper Mapping Source or Master Controller. It's not just Vray and F-Storm has it, Blender, Maya, Unreal Engine and countless others utilize the same approach.

Just because some existing workaround exists doesn't mean new and much superior feature shouldn't be implemented.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2023-04-04, 14:49:47
Reply #10

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If I had phrased my post differently: "in the meantime, use controllers" -
would the tirade be avoidable? nobody is bashing feature requests here, I promise.
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2023-04-04, 16:01:55
Reply #11

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yeah, wording matters ;- )

2023-04-04, 17:25:32
Reply #12

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile