Author Topic: Corona Image Editor feedback  (Read 37136 times)

2017-03-27, 19:02:55

mike288

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal 'Mike' Wirth
    • View Profile
Looking forward to your feedback!
Chaos Scatter developer | In case of crash, please send minidump | Private uploader: https://corona-renderer.com/upload

2017-03-27, 19:48:06
Reply #1

thilima3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Thi Lima - 3D, Consulting & Online School
For now... pretty nice and stable. I´m testing on another scene now, a heavy one. great job guys

2017-03-27, 21:13:21
Reply #2

mike288

• Active Users
  • Michal 'Mike' Wirth
    • View Profile
Good to hear! :-)
Chaos Scatter developer | In case of crash, please send minidump | Private uploader: https://corona-renderer.com/upload

2017-03-27, 21:44:25
Reply #3

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Tested it on a small scene, and it's working great. No problems so far, except from a little brain-work figuring out how to use it correct (a basic guide would be great).

It's easy to see the future use for this extension :)

Great work!

2017-03-27, 23:35:55
Reply #4

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
1. I cannot save the rendering in the .cexr format (but I can with all other format)  with the SAVE button on the top left side of the 3ds max VFB

2. When I use photographic exposure, the Editor VFB looks completely different from 3ds max VFB.

2017-03-28, 11:28:27
Reply #5

mike288

• Active Users
  • Michal 'Mike' Wirth
    • View Profile
1) Yes, it is a bug we know about. It will be fixed in 1.6.
2) OK, I will look into it ASAP. Thank you.

2017-03-28, 12:28:19
Reply #6

Ryuu

• Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
Small/heavy scene kinda doesn't matter since this tool works only on the rendered images :)

No problems so far, except from a little brain-work figuring out how to use it correct (a basic guide would be great).

Some guides/tutorials are definitely planned. You can help us by pointing out the things that are less than obvious. That way we'll know what needs better explanation and/or redesign of the UI.

2017-03-28, 21:06:49
Reply #7

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I've been waiting for this since you guys have announced it! This thing is just great, and will smooth out the workflow very nicely.

What I would really really love to have is

- F-stop parameters which should work in conjunction with Bloom and Glare aaaaaaaaand :

!!! Depth of field! But if possible, I have no clue if it is, without using a Zdepth pass, but something like World Position ? would that be possible?

2017-03-28, 21:56:27
Reply #8

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
Nice thing for post render lighmix tweaking for sure, now make it exportable to a self sufficient .exe gallery kind of file (like say ACDsee has) which could be sent to clients with a possibility to set some easy to set and to use buttons to specific light mix pass combos which when sent to clients those stupid monkeys could press and get different lighting and even time of the day and well, picture me VERY interested )))
 @Flavius - yeah something like vfb+ or lenscare does with the help of zdepth pass but why use the "outdated crap" for that - maybe using Word position pass for that would make it possible to get blurring behind the transparent objects which makes zdepth pass based dof completely useless in such cases.

About F-stop well totally agree on that too - F-stop + aperture (I mean shape\amount of blades etc) both incamera one and in vfb\image editor one would be very handy to control both the post processing dof (if it will ever be added) and especially glare and bloom both power and shape of em.

DELETED - my overwork induced F-stop related ramble ))
« Last Edit: 2017-03-28, 23:30:07 by antanas »

2017-03-28, 22:36:14
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I hate to go to offtopic, but...

About F-stop well totally agree on that too but first we need to have decent working like it should F-stop in Corona itself which would behave as F-stop should - by that I mean "darkening the image" or changing the amount of light coming through it in the lenses well doing things like the real one does - for now it is only useful for rendertime dof setup and motion blur but besides that nothing else - currently it is impossible to set up cameras to match the real world camera's values without it - c'mon guys even vray respects F-stop values in it's physical camera so how comes Corona still doesn't ? And yeah F-stop + aperture (I mean shape\amount of blades etc) both incamera one and in vfb\image editor one would be very handy to control both the post processing dof (if it will ever be added) and especially glare and bloom both power and shape of em.

One thing to add to that - Ev and iso values ABSOLUTELY should work together not separately - it doesn't make any sense like it is done now.
everything you said here does not make any sense to me. F-Stop is working like it should, by changing it, you change exposure as well.

And when simple exposure (EV) is active, ISO ABSOLUTELY shouldn't affect exposure. I don't see nothing wrong with Corona's exposure control implementation, well.. except confusing controls in multiple places, but that is well known issue.

P.S. if you want to go in further discussion about Corona's exposure controls, please start new topic in general discussions board. Let's leave this topic for feedback about CIE.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-03-28, 23:20:49
Reply #10

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
@romullus yeah you sure are right about "confusing controls in multiple places" for I constantly forget to set exposure controls in render settings to Basic photographic exposure thus constantly getting frustrated while trying to use those in camera and getting nowhere as a result - which occurs especially frequently when I'm overworked and the deadline is near )) this happened today hence my stupid F-stop related ramble so yeah sorry for that - I will delete that for not causing any confusion.

Edited:
One thing to add to that - Ev and iso values in CIE ABSOLUTELY should work together not separately (+both CIE and regular VFB should have those 2 and F-stop controls as well but that's a different topic like you said above) - it doesn't make any sense like it is done now, see DSLR shooting in manual mode - that's what we should have in both vfb and CIE I think - otherwise it's too confusing. 
« Last Edit: 2017-03-28, 23:32:35 by antanas »

2017-03-28, 23:33:05
Reply #11

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
CIE feedback:
1. tooltips do not respect boundaries of the screen and are hard / impossible to read when editor is maximized.
2. bloom&glare could have some sort of indicator that would show up when calculations are being made. On bigger images b&g calculation might be quite lengthy and it's hard to tell if it's done already or not when changes are subtle.

@antanas, if you're constantly using photographic exposure instead of simple one, maybe it's worth to save it as defaults? Just saying... :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-03-29, 01:19:37
Reply #12

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@Ryuu - For a beginners guide I think it would be helpful to describe how save (dump EXR) and prepare an image in the renderer for future use in the CIE (especially Denoising).

One thing that did puzzle me at first, was that even when I had already made a full Denoising calculation in the renderer, it wasn't carried through to the CIE, but needed to be calculated again. I also was surprised to see all those new "denoiser" render elements showing up after denoising.

Besides that I think that the expanded controls in the CIE regarding denoising and LUT would be really handy to have in the renderer VFB as well.

Keep up the great work :)
« Last Edit: 2017-03-29, 02:28:16 by PROH »

2017-03-29, 01:44:20
Reply #13

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
I think that denoise is calculated "on the fly". So, you cannot calculate it in max, save , open CIE and have denoise done.
That's why there is the option "Gather data" inside 3ds max.

2017-03-29, 02:05:11
Reply #14

Tanakov

• Active Users
  • Corona is faster than diarrhea
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/Gringott
Did I miss something?
Using Corona since 2014-01-02
https://www.behance.net/Gringott