Author Topic: Will the new standalone give some life to the Blender integration?  (Read 76672 times)

2016-03-16, 11:17:16

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there.

I know the problem with Blender was the GPL, but in the same fashion vray and Octane are integrated into Blender, maybe with the new standalone the Blender integration can be turned in a commercial addon, the export code may be open source, but as long as the render is produced in the standalone Corona there should not be a problem with GPL and having to give the Corona addon with open source.

And now if Corona standalone supports Alembic and OpenVDB (the latter in the future)and Blender supports Alembic (wich is on it's way) then the integration could be done using Alembic instead of OBJ's like right now because I doubt we can export a fluid mesh using OBJ's and get the correct render result or an optimal file size for an animation.

Blender is becoming more and more important (along with C4D and Modo of course) with people planning to leave Autodesk, and this is not only said by me but it's a trend that many companies are seeing, dev team I can give you my source about this trend, but in private to respect them, but I can say it's a big and important company in the 3d business and they are seeing this in their clients, also my Autodesk reseller told me that too...

What do you think dev team? people?

Cheers.

2016-03-16, 12:49:04
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
we are still not planning to do the exporter ourselves, but we have powerful and documented standalone format, so if anyone does the exporter (like joel did in past), it will work.

BTW: We no longer need OBJs, standalone now supports Corona proxy format (which is also open)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-03-16, 22:49:02
Reply #2

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Good to know Ondra!

I still hope you will develop the project inhouse, but in any case is good to know that it can be done from the outside, the Blender community is very active :D

Cheers!

2016-04-06, 11:23:33
Reply #3

bnzs

• Active Users
    • View Profile
we are still not planning to do the exporter ourselves
just wondering - simply hypothetically - how much need be donated to corona team for write (or update existing) exporter to blender?

2016-06-07, 18:21:28
Reply #4

Kramon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
we are still not planning to do the exporter ourselves
just wondering - simply hypothetically - how much need be donated to corona team for write (or update existing) exporter to blender?

+1

2016-06-07, 21:48:24
Reply #5

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is where the development by ohsnapitsjoel stops...

Posted on 15-Feb-16, 05:52
I made some changes and have been able to update the scene and material export, but I was having issues with the render starting. I don't know why this is. The standalone application will launch a scene just fine if I use the command line, but it'll just hang and never start rendering when launched from Blender. I can commit the WIP code to the repository, but I don't know that it'll do you much good right now. A lot of features are disabled because of the new format -

-Material nodes
-Motion blur of any kind
-The new compressed binary object format (which would allow deformation motion blur)
-UI exposure of the new UHD cache properties (though how much really needs to be exposed anyway?). It's set as the integrator by default, and changing the option in the UI doesn't alter that.
-None of the new "maps" for materials are included.

Edit: I'm attaching a VERY developmental version of the addon updated with my changes to date.

Attached Files
render_corona_1.9.4_DEV.zip (369.6 KB, 84 views)
source: BlenderArtists.org

Haven't tested it, thus can give no comment.

2016-08-04, 08:19:28
Reply #6

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Blender exporter for Corona
I have cloned what Joel started and have some basic scenes/mesh lights/materials going but my biggest problem right now is a crash during the material preview.

I attached the minidump from the crash and here is my material preview

Command
Code: [Select]
Corona_Release.exe -mtlPreview < matpreview.stdin
matpreview.stdin
1.0 200 150 matpreview.png <materialDefinition name="Preview"><material class="Native"><diffuse>0.18 0.18 0.18</diffuse><reflect><color>0.09 0.06 0.43</color><glossiness>0.13</glossiness><ior>8.00</ior></reflect></material></materialDefinition>
As you can see this is pretty much the most basic material to render

Corona version:
BUILD_DATE: Apr 10 2016 21:01:27, internal color space: Wide RGB
Defines:

2016-08-04, 10:29:55
Reply #7

avl

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-08-04, 13:01:14
Reply #8

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh, even tho, very nice to see some movement...

2016-08-04, 18:22:40
Reply #9

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
uploading new standalone now...
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-08-05, 13:26:25
Reply #10

avl

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-08-05, 13:46:22
Reply #11

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
fixed on dropbox

2016-08-08, 08:37:22
Reply #12

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That is excellent thanks!  The material preview now works correctly.  Now I need to get the rest of the properties exporting correctly

2016-08-08, 09:19:17
Reply #13

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Diffuse textures work inside the standalone render but I can't get it to work with the -matPreview

The tex.png file is there and works with a normal scene that uses the same material format

Command
Corona_Release.exe -mtlPreview
License info:
Demo license active.
Activated until: 2016-08-18

0.30 232 253 C:\dev\matpreview.png
<material class="Native"><diffuse><map class="ToneMap"><child><map class="Texture"><image>C:\dev\tex.png</image><uvMap><mode>uvw</mode><scale>1.00 1.00 1.0</scale><offset>0.00 0.00 1.0</offset></uvMap></map></child><multiplier>1.00</multiplier></map></diffuse><reflect><color>1.00 1.00 1.00</color><glossiness>1.00</glossiness><ior>8.00</ior></reflect></material>
^Z

ERROR: Fatal error in mtl-XML file: 'STDIN': Texture with file name: 'c:/dev/tex.png' not found/not accesible

Many thanks!

2016-08-08, 13:01:52
Reply #14

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
fixed, new build is out