Author Topic: C4D crashes when selecting "Corona Shared" Shader in material  (Read 2177 times)

2020-09-24, 15:53:37

Börje

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have the following issue:

I downloaded i. e. the following material from the corona materials Website:
https://www.corona-materials.de/en/material-library/metal/anodized-aluminium/277

Obviously this material has been made with a prior version of corona. In the bump channel there is a "corona shared" texture loaded (showing only black!). When I now click on "select shader" Cinema 4D crashes.

I tried this with R21, S22 and R23 using the daily build 7 of corona renderer 6 on Mac OS 10.14.6.

When I open the Material in Node editor the corona shared texture isn't shown at all.
Actually I must admit that I don't quite know what this corona shared shader is good for. Obviously not all used textures are loaded properly…

I just checked: same problem if I try this on a whole new corona material which I created from scratch…

2020-09-24, 15:57:10
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
In order to allow one map to be plugged into multiple slots and/or materials, we have to create a Shared Shader to let that happen.

Previously, this shader would become visible in the node editor at times, though it is of no practical use to the user. This was fixed in the latest releases so that it is never visible and only exists under the hood and behind the scenes.

Probably a good idea to upload the scene and the bugreports.txt from the crash.

Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-09-24, 16:59:06
Reply #2

Börje

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Actually this happens also in a blank new scene:
  • create new corona material
  • in the material properties activate bump
  • in bump properties selsct texture > corona > Corona Shared
  • click on the preview (black square) to get to the shader proerties
  • now click on "select shader"

Now I get a "Cinema 4D: Application Error". The BugReport is attached…

2020-09-24, 17:07:43
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Never try to create one manually :) It would be good to remove that option so we will look into that, but meantime there's no need nor use nor benefit to creating one, so simply don't create one :) (If one is needed, when working in the Corona Node Material editor, it will be created automatically and behind the scenes)

BTW, what happens if you work with your first problem material inside the Corona Node Material Editor?

2020-09-24, 17:13:49
Reply #4

Börje

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The Corona Shared Texture doesn't show up in node editor.

The thing is that some "scratch" textures seem not to be shown in the material although there seems to be used some in the "tex" subfolder.

I attach this scene with the whole material as downloaded form corona-materials.com.

2020-09-24, 17:48:30
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Right, the Shared Shader should never show up at all. It is of no use to you as a user, it's purely an under-the-hood thing, and allows one map to be connected to multiple slots in a material or even into multiple materials. So definitely never create one, and for any materials where it shows up in the native C4D editors, I'd suggest using the Corona Node Material Editor to edit it instead (it would be the only way to get a proper look at how the material is set up).

(BTW we have a task set up to remove it from showing in the dropdown list, just as it was removed from the right click in the Node Material Editor - so we'll make it so you can't create one manually in the future. Meantime, don't :) )

2020-09-24, 18:04:42
Reply #6

Börje

• Active Users
    • View Profile
OK. Got that and will try to keep that in mind.

Nevertheless the program shouldn't crash, right?

2020-09-24, 18:34:25
Reply #7

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Probably not on the crash, but then the crash might be avoided by having the shared shader hidden away :) So we shall see!

2020-10-05, 08:48:47
Reply #8

mmarcotic

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
This should no longer be happening in the latest Daily build from 03/10. Give it a shot!

Thanks,
Jan
Learn how to report bugs for Corona in C4D here.