Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] General Discussion

3dcenter.ru Corona thread

(1/10) > >>

Ludvik Koutny:
Hello,

when analyzing where visitors of our forum mostly come from, we have noticed that many of them come from a Russian site 3dcenter.ru. Thanks to this information, we have found a thread about Corona on the site. Unfortunately nor me nor Ondra know Russian language so we have read the thread using Google translator, which gave us only very crude and foggy translation.

From that crude translation, i understood that some of the Corona problems have been discussed, and i or Ondra may be able to provide answer for some of those problems. So, here are the answers for some of the problems i understood were discussed.

* You should always use single sided planes in windows for window glass, and apply glass material set to twosided mode. Real glass will slow down rendering a bit, even if you disable shadow casting for it.
* You should use HD cache as secondary GI for most of the interior scenes.
* For curtain material to pass sunlight through, you should not use opacity, but refraction level parameter, with refraction mode set to twosided, and optionally, refraction color to be mapped with opacity map. This is at the moment more efficient solution than mapping opacity. You don't necessarily need to map refraction level if you do not want to, for basic effect of light shining through the curtain, just set refraction mode of curtain material to twosided, and raise refraction level to pass more light through the curtain. Mapping the refraction color will occlude sun based on the map you put in.
This information might not be true for people with nightly builds, as opacity slowness should be fixed there. Some tests of mapped refraction with twosided mode vs opacity would be appreciated. :)
* For scenes with strong depth of field, it is recommended to lower PT samples value to 2-8 to change ratio of GI vs AA sampling. Less PT samples mean more samples are devoted to AA, which is also responsible for clearing DoF effect. So you will get more samples in your AA and less in GI, which may lead to better balance and better rendertimes.
* There is often a noise in surfaces with sharp, but very weak/faint reflection. That is caused due to the insufficient adaptivity and therefore objects in reflection having insufficient sampling priority. This is a known issue and will be fixed in next alpha release. For those of you who have nightly builds, you can go to Devel/Debug settings and try to use Per-pixel M+C sampler, which should solve this problem at the slight expense of performance.So i would like to ask people who are both Corona and 3dcenter.ru members to pass these information to guys from 3dcenter.ru, and inform them that they are always welcome on our forum too. :)

ecximer:
I've already told them. :)

At the expense of opacity in tulle. Here I am personally satisfied with the result and speed. I'll try to do a refraction, but I do not see much sense.

SHD:
finally)

Ludvik Koutny:

--- Quote from: ecximer on 2013-02-21, 12:40:59 ---I've already told them. :)

At the expense of opacity in tulle. Here I am personally satisfied with the result and speed. I'll try to do a refraction, but I do not see much sense.

--- End quote ---

Problem there was that in public A3 release (not nightly) there was a bug that would sometimes make opacity quite slow ;)

ecximer:
All right. I understand you. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version