Author Topic: chamfer+displacement  (Read 651 times)

2023-08-31, 13:28:49

matteosperi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
I have a problem;
if I use chamfer (20 segments like the first image) + corona displacement modifier. I have this effect on the edges (for example the house walls)
I used a plaster material from the corona library and applied the bump in the displacement channel (I also tried noise); how can i solve?
in the second picture I have chamfer 1 segment; much better. Is that the problem?
thanks for support
Matteo

2023-08-31, 13:35:15
Reply #1

hurrycat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Are you sure UVW and Displacement min/max values are the same in both cases? I typically avoid using negative displacement values as it can lead to the problems shown in your first image.

2023-08-31, 14:55:18
Reply #2

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
20 segments is just too high in my opinion, such high number does not been better result or shading.
Try using smoothing instead.

Yes, this can be expected, as with very tiny polygons (because of 20 segments) the displacement can overlap. Normals/smoothing can have a role in it too.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2023-08-31, 15:26:00
Reply #3

matteosperi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, thanks for the support;
with only one segment it works;
if I set two segments I see the different edge;
even if I set the displacement noise mapping (number 2) and apply the equal mapping to the object, the result is the same;
only way to eliminate the problem is to set chamfer= 1 segment

i tried all the chamfer modifier options but the result is the same with some differences
opzione smoothing? in 3dsmax modifier?

Matteo

2023-08-31, 15:34:10
Reply #4

matteosperi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
do you need the right ratio between chamfer and displacement?
in this case:
chamfer 1 cm and 2 segments - corona displ. 0.2cm is ok (a small error is visible)

2023-08-31, 15:41:15
Reply #5

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, in such cases and places you will need to fine tune the chamfering and displacing amounts so there are no overlapping displacement.
The 20 segments will work just as well, but you will probably need to offset both displacement values with the same number.

You can try with 20 segments (even though I don't recommend it), and then set displacement min 0 (so there is nothing being pushed inwards) and then adjust the Max value until you get the desired look.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2023-09-01, 09:08:52
Reply #6

matteosperi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok thanks for the support; now I understand correctly;
I remember the keep continuity function in vray that solved the problem..I don't know if it can be useful
thanks
Matteo

2023-09-01, 10:46:58
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Does changing order of operation make any difference? This is first time I see CoronaDisplacement not being on very top. It's micropoly displacement so it doesn't produce usable geometry for editing, but perhaps the modifier always places itself on top internally?
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2023-09-01, 16:26:45
Reply #8

matteosperi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
I tried to change the order but the result is always the same; as Aram Avetisyan suggested, I tried a stone texture;
with balance between displacement and chamfer it works perfectly. It's a balance issue, I think
Matteo