Author Topic: Dual Monitor  (Read 2704 times)

2023-01-27, 20:13:11

Apostolis Christou

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Bronxes Studio
Hello guys,

I've been searching for a new monitor. My main one so far is a Dell U2518D 2560x1400 but my secondary monitor is meh. So I'd like to get a new one for main and switch my main to secondary.
Do you have any recommendation? I wouldn't like to go above 27" because the difference will be too much and I don't mind going for 4k. Budget max 500 euro

Thanks in advance

2023-01-28, 16:23:29
Reply #1

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm very happy with my Benq PD3200U

2023-01-28, 17:07:34
Reply #2

Apostolis Christou

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Bronxes Studio
Looks good, regarding colors? Sadly its higher than my budget, at least in Greece

2023-02-04, 06:52:11
Reply #3

Potato Chips

• Users
    • View Profile
Looks good, regarding colors? Sadly its higher than my budget, at least in Greece

I use PD2700U which is the 27 inch version of PD3200U. Bought it in 2021 for around 600 USD. I think it is the best value for its price range, it has 4k resolution, excellent color reproduction, scaling is quite ok (not too small for me). Sometimes I use it to play csgo but it doesn't fit me very well because of 60hz refresh rate.

If you have tight budget, just buy something with at least 27 inch 1440p with 100% sRGB and you will be fine.

2023-03-24, 22:35:05
Reply #4

Apostolis Christou

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Bronxes Studio
I'm now between these 2 monitors.

https://www.amazon.com/DELL-DISPLAY-ULTRASHARP-MONITOR-U2723QE/dp/B09RSTWVTP

https://www.amazon.com/DELL-DISPLAY-ULTRASHARP-MONITOR-U2723QE/dp/B09RSTWVTP

Funny story is that Asus is half the price but it seems like it delivers pretty good colors.
QHD vs 4k I don't think it makes such a huge impact in archviz industry, what do you think?
I rejected BenQ right before these two because of color accuracy

2023-03-25, 09:24:41
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Dell U2723QE is very nice monitor for work. It's also one of the only 4 monitors on market with "IPS-BLACK" technology, which means instead of the usual IPS contrast ratio of 1:1000 they have 1:2000 (some very good Apple laptops for example have IPS panels with 1:1500). Yes that's still worse than VA (1:3000+ but lot of problems for work because of poor angles) or OLED (1:Infinity) which is pretty expensive for 27/32" 4K because there is only one panel from small company JOLED available.

Asus doesn't have any IPS-Black monitors right now on market, and neither does BenQ. But for past 8 years, BenQ became the most popular "prosumer" brand for color-accurate work. It costs less then NEC/EIZO top models, but only slightly more then Dell/LG/Asus/etc.. and have excellent quality control and build. The BenQ U-series is seriously high quality. My PD3200U is almost 5 years old maybe? And it's still in excellent condition. You cannot say that about any Asus monitor that will break after 5 days :- ). And no kidding... just go check r/monitors on Reddit to see how happy people are with Asus & Samsung monitors. Great price, non-existent quality control.

When talking about purely quality control (which may also include good factory calibration), Dell & BenQ (and maybe LG on good day) are the only affordable prosumer brands. They all use the same panels usually but the Quality Control, Support & Warranty is what sets them apart. Asus Pro-Art series has very good features/value, but there is reason why almost no one is buying them anyway.

For people looking for 27" 4K Monitor, who doesn't need high-refresh rate for gaming (IPS-Black is only 60HZ right now), I would suggest the Dell U2723QE.
« Last Edit: 2023-03-25, 09:29:41 by Juraj »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2023-03-25, 17:48:50
Reply #6

Apostolis Christou

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Bronxes Studio
Thank you Juraj,

I was focusing on the Dell too but I was curious on more opinions because Asus was half the price, no other reason

2023-03-26, 13:42:45
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Asus vs Dell is not about price though. Dell also has 300 Euro 27" 4K model (Dell S2721QS, I have one, I use it for travelling, it's very good for its price!). Dell has like 20 27" monitors alone :- ). With 300 to 3000 Euro in range.
Asus has smaller range to chose from and they have bigger jump from low-end to high-end. They don't have such affordable prosumer model with IPS-Black tech, their high-end has Mini-LED instead and costs 2000+ .
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2023-04-04, 16:28:55
Reply #8

Deckard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Interesting topic, I am also looking for a replacement of my current dual monitor setup.
I agree that for professional work I wouldn't risk buying Asus or LG models. Currently I have two Dell monitors at 1920x1200 which have proved very reliable over the years. I used to have an Eizo monitor some ages ago (which is still working impressively well). BenQ seems to have good credibility as well.

The Dell U2723QE has very good specs but, coming from a screen resolution of just 94 PPI, I am concerned that 4K at 27" (which is a pixel density of 163 PPI) would make everything so small that would make presbyopia glasses inevitable for me. I suppose that you could use windows scaling to compensate, but I don't feel so comfortable about it...

I was also looking at this new monitor from Dell which has just been announced. A bit pricey I guess, but has good specs and gets rid of the annoying central division of dual monitors setup:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-ultrasharp-49-curved-usb-c-hub-monitor-u4924dw/apd/210-bgtz/monitors-monitor-accessories#tabs_section
Does anyone have any hands-on experience with such curved ultra-wide monitors for archviz work?

2023-04-04, 16:40:31
Reply #9

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
suppose that you could use windows scaling to compensate, but I don't feel so comfortable about it...

No need, the scaling is really good. And Scaled HighDPI monitors are easier on eyes, the text is much cleaner & sharper, improving readability and helping with strain from reading.
I've been on 4K monitors for about 10 years. Last 2560px monitor I used was famous Dell 3011. I was on it for 2 years and then jumped on 4K wagon right away.

The only remaining scaling issue is with different scaling across multi-monitor setup, but even then, the only software I ever had issue with was... 3ds Max :- ).

Curved displays from Dell's productivity range have really large radius of the curve, it's not very noticeable, you would be good. The curve on gaming monitors on other hand, is incredibly annoying, it was almost compounding my astigmatism, nothing was straight anymore :- ). I had to rid of one such that I used as media monitor in living room.

2023-04-04, 18:30:34
Reply #10

Deckard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for your input, really helpful.
However, since 4K monitors are more expensive than "regular" ones, I remain a bit skeptical about the reasoning behind getting a high DPI monitor and then scaling it up because the icons, buttons and menus are too small to use. Smoother text, crisper movies and images are welcome of course, I just wonder if it's worth the extra $$ of a 4K monitor.
Maybe I'm just an old dog who's mistrustful about new tricks :)

2023-04-05, 12:04:33
Reply #11

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
suppose that you could use windows scaling to compensate, but I don't feel so comfortable about it...
The curve on gaming monitors on other hand, is incredibly annoying, it was almost compounding my astigmatism, nothing was straight anymore :- ). I had to rid of one such that I used as media monitor in living room.

I think this one comes down to size as well. I have a 49" CRG90 from Samsung (it is basically 2x 27" without the color differences between panels) and it has a decent curve to it and while I was really worried about it before I bought it... I wouldn't want a flat screen of this size. I wouldn't even mind if the curve was curvier I think. :)

On the other hand though, for "smaller" screen sizes I honestly don't quite understand how the curve can come in handy. Even 32" seems too small I'd say.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2023-04-05, 17:11:35
Reply #12

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Curve exists on smaller displays (like 32" and 27") on Samsung VA panels, that would otherwise exhibit enough gamma shift in corners. That was exactly one I also got, 27" VA Samsung. 3000:1 contrast when looking straight on and then TN-level crap when I just slightly moved my head to side. I think last month a first flat 27" VA panel was produced but it's still of no interest to graphic professionals.

I like the small curve on 40" 21:9" 5K panels. It's 1,5X 4K 32". Sadly neither black IPS, nor FALD or even better polarizer for what is like 1600plus Euro Monitors. Might as well use 42" LG C2 OLED at that point.

2023-04-06, 15:56:04
Reply #13

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
To be totally honest with you, on my CRG90 I can indeed spot that VA gamma shift but mainly if I look at the thing from the more unorthodox angles. I was very pleasantly surprised at how well this panel performs and I think its been "suspected" that a lot of these bigger format screens get the more TV like VA treatment where the viewing angles are decent. Then again, I might also be not as susceptible to it.

My IPS driven laptop does have better viewing angles for sure I'd say but I really don't find it to be bad on the CRG90 either.

As for the OLED screens, is there a solution for that text fringing issue already? That is a real bummer for me.

Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2023-11-25, 23:05:38
Reply #14

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Nejc

Is this monitor worth getting?  i have 2 screens (32 and 27) and i woudlnt mind switching it to 1.  How is it workign in 3DS MAX?  does it go to one side or the other or middle?  i realise you can put it in areas of the screen but wanted an h onest opinion about it. 
To be totally honest with you, on my CRG90 I can indeed spot that VA gamma shift but mainly if I look at the thing from the more unorthodox angles. I was very pleasantly surprised at how well this panel performs and I think its been "suspected" that a lot of these bigger format screens get the more TV like VA treatment where the viewing angles are decent. Then again, I might also be not as susceptible to it.

My IPS driven laptop does have better viewing angles for sure I'd say but I really don't find it to be bad on the CRG90 either.

As for the OLED screens, is there a solution for that text fringing issue already? That is a real bummer for me.