Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] I need help!

Imitating Clo3d; Puckering normal maps overlaying

(1/2) > >>

wilbertvandenbroek:
Hi guys, I'm having trouble fixing something in translation from Clo to 3ds max. In Clo you have something called Puckering. You can see it in the attached screenshot. It works as a normal map without any diffuse or whatsoever. With one puckering texture I can add it to 3 different garment patches and it works. The materials seem to sort of overlay the normal in Clo.

In max however I don't have this option. As you can see in the render and the slate editor, the puckering is separate material in the multi/sub-object using a white diffuse. I need this to match the color of the object beneath it. The first thing that comes to mind is plugging the multi sub-object in a blend shader but that isn't supported. I tried different options with blending of maps, but because I want to automate this setup in the future I really need this one normal to apply to the whole underlying object.

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks.

TomG:
I'd just put the puckering normal into all the other materials and delete that layer, which is what you mention, to have one normal apply to the whole object (by appearing in every material) - but I don't think there is a way to automate that (unless it can be written in Maxscript)

wilbertvandenbroek:
Hi Tom thanks for the reply, unfortunately the incoming mesh has a specific unwrap uv's per material, so adding the normals to each material would result in the map being stretched across the entire fabric instead of just on the small mesh strip that has the correct uv's to display the puckering.

romullus:
Check if the puckering mesh has second UV channel with UVs from underlying fabric. If there's no such channel, you will need to create it yourself by projecting UVs from main fabric mesh. Then use rayswitch material for puckering mesh to prevent unwanted shadowing.

wilbertvandenbroek:
Interesting solution Romullus. I'm going to look into it. We also now are trying to see if we can recognize the closest underlying object and then match the materials.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version