Author Topic: Render to texture, bake to texture  (Read 722 times)

2023-01-06, 16:08:20

zaar

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I feel very stupid now, but I thought this was something that one could simply just do. I'm having a lot of trouble and I can find very little info. And I just saw this:
https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4528523245073-How-to-use-texture-baking-in-Corona-for-3ds-Max-
"Note: using the projection modifier is not yet supported. "

So how does the projection even work!? I get black areas where high/low intersect and I just got around this but temporarily using a push modifer to grow my low outside the high one.

And I need to get out metallic, roughness and emission too. (Haven't tried the light pass yet)

Seems like I need to convert my entire project to arnold or generic Max materials/maps and bake with arnold or something instead. I know this kind of work isn't Corona main area of expertise so maybe I am kind of stupid for not checking this in advance. Spent many days setting up photoreal renders of a product hoping to just quickly bake it :( But this feature seems only half-baked in corona ;)

2023-01-07, 11:48:35
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
That's correct, Corona does not support projection baking at all and that's a shame, since regular texture baking was added many years ago. I suggest you to go most wanted features topic and ask the team to add projection baking to the poll. That would help devs to see how much there is interest for such feature and maybe that would bring us closer to full texture baking support in Corona.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-01-20, 15:22:31
Reply #2

zaar

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I took on this project thinking that corona has texture baking, and it does. Only the implementation only ticks off some of the most basic features. Unless you are baking to the mesh to itself, and don't need PBR maps such as roughness and metal - it's pretty useless. So I thought about making a lot of noise saying I really want this feature. But it would never been done in time for my project anyway, and I can see that it's not really in the scope of what Corona wants to be. And I don't think the average Corona user cares about this either.

So I started thinking about work arounds, I've found a couple but they are not good enough.

My next though was that V-ray has some compability with Corona and has more baking support. I'll just get v-ray for the months I'll be working with this. Do all my stills and movies in Corona, and just bake the webGL stuff in V-ray. But to my huge dissapointment the "chaos ecosystem" isn't there yet. Everything renders black. Not a single on of my materials will render.
What a missed oppertunity that both renderers recently created their own physical materials, instead of Chaos Physical Material. And why not also do away with corona maps and v-ray maps and have Chaos maps? Then you can completely remove texture baking in Corona, and just have it in v-ray. You need to bake for a project? Get v-ray for that time.
I'll probably take this statement back if I was robbed of how well media options, translucency and displacement works in Corona and get the v-ray way. :| not looking forward to working with that, now that it looks like I might have migrate the entire project two v-ray. Or maintain two separate versions of all materials just to be able to bake them.

While I really love how things work in Corona. I'm really sick of proprietary materials and well proprietary anything really. I want to move between Max, Substance, UE and so on.

2023-01-20, 16:02:59
Reply #3

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I want to move between Max, Substance, UE and so on.

If that's the case then I would recommend you start your next project entirely with PBR textures. The reason all render engines are moving in this direction is exactly so you can switch between different render engines/software and you don't need to rebake etc.

2023-01-20, 16:26:41
Reply #4

zaar

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I want to move between Max, Substance, UE and so on.

If that's the case then I would recommend you start your next project entirely with PBR textures. The reason all render engines are moving in this direction is exactly so you can switch between different render engines/software and you don't need to rebake etc.

Well in the long run. Right now I just need to get my high end corona modell to a 6MB GLB file.
But doing it entirely with PBR textures is kind of what I'm thinking. That I use Max for importing CAD, retopo, manual modelling and UVWs. And maybe I do all materials in Substance Painter (which I would have to master really quickly...) But I'm so dependant on a quick workflow in max with composite nodes mixing noises, various bitmaps, triplanar, multimap, procedural wood and so on.