Author Topic: Region improvements  (Read 1502 times)

2022-11-15, 14:20:17

RecentSpacesSam

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys

Something we often do when rendering single objects (e.g. minor updates to a material that don't require a full render) we often find that the render goes faster if we put a corona region around the object in question in the frame buffer rather than letting the entire thing render. Not sure why - maybe something to do with the noise level calculation?

Anyway, for super-duper noise calculating speediness the tighter this region is to the object in question the better.

I would love it if you guys could add something similar to VRay's render mask texture (where you basically draw an alpha of what to render) or perhaps implement some kind of subtractive region?

I'd love to know if others would find these features useful too, or if it's just me.

2022-11-15, 14:39:39
Reply #1

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
+1

Agreed, this'd be very handy.

(not sure if you forgot to mention or not, but did you mean the "render goes faster" for region as opposed to doing a "Render selected"?)
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2022-11-15, 14:44:15
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
For this you can use a combination of "Clear VFB" off (in Render Setup > System) and Area to render: region + "auto region selected" in Render Setup > Common.

This will automatically draw a 3ds Max region around your selected object and won't erase the previous rendering.

I hope it helps. If not really, I would be interested to learn more (what exactly is not working and what you would like to achieve instead).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-11-15, 14:57:17
Reply #3

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
For this you can use a combination of "Clear VFB" off (in Render Setup > System) and Area to render: region + "auto region selected" in Render Setup > Common.

Wow, you really do learn something new every day.
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2022-11-15, 14:59:20
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
3ds Max is great at hiding useful features. :D

2022-11-17, 09:43:23
Reply #5

RecentSpacesSam

• Active Users
    • View Profile
3ds Max is great at hiding useful features. :D

I literally had the discussion last night where we both said "Hey did you know max can do X!?". Every day's a school day.

So after a bit more discussion internally we concluded that it's not necessarily making the render faster, but making the "noise threshold" calculation far more accurate. It seems that having a large amount of "black space" in the VFB really throws the % off - I guess it's calculating an average?

As for not clearing the VFB, unfortunately that assumes we're starting with a previous render and not opening the file just to make the change :')

2022-11-17, 09:48:29
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
As for not clearing the VFB, unfortunately that assumes we're starting with a previous render and not opening the file just to make the change :')

Can you explain what you mean here?
If you use the "Clear VFB" option, this will reset the whole content of the VFB to black when you start rendering. If you disable it, it will show whatever was rendered previously.

Do you mean that you would like to load an existing CXR image into the VFB without starting the actual rendering, and then draw some regions to update some areas?

2022-11-17, 10:39:16
Reply #7

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
I think he means that sometimes they're opening the file specifically to re-render the small portion. So the VFB is blank by default as nothing has been rendered yet.
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2022-11-17, 14:45:00
Reply #8

RecentSpacesSam

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think he means that sometimes they're opening the file specifically to re-render the small portion. So the VFB is blank by default as nothing has been rendered yet.

Yes, this. Occasionally a Client may send an updated map for fabric/rug/finish that they wish to use and that may be the only thing that needs rendering.
Open scene, change material, render object only. My original point was that it seems the noise calculation is thrown off by black pixels/empty space in the VFB but rendering a crop makes it more time consuming to comp (manual alignment instead of dropping a full image in place using the alpha)

Can you explain what you mean here?
If you use the "Clear VFB" option, this will reset the whole content of the VFB to black when you start rendering. If you disable it, it will show whatever was rendered previously.

Do you mean that you would like to load an existing CXR image into the VFB without starting the actual rendering, and then draw some regions to update some areas?

Loading a CXR (or other) into the frame buffer would also be really helpful for the purpose of region-ing the object you want prior to starting the render :)

2022-11-17, 14:58:41
Reply #9

Ink Visual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey,
Agree with RecentSpacesSam on this,
We also noticed that rendering an object with "render selected" option actually takes longer than running whole image again and limiting area to a region of interest.
Not sure if this is a bug or technical limitation.
(we're using Corona 8.2 atm but the behaviour described above is there for quite a couple versions back for sure)

2022-11-23, 16:15:39
Reply #10

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
i just want some sort of lasso tool to draw my own regions to render instead of having to try and block out with square regions ;)
My small 3D model shop: www.ikonoform.com/shop
My arch viz blog: www.ikonoform.com/blog

2022-11-28, 10:41:40
Reply #11

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
We have some promising results for the "render selected is rendering slower than region" issue. Watch out for the daily builds. :)

(Internal ID=597096944)

2022-11-29, 16:11:45
Reply #12

RecentSpacesSam

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just saw the post, exciting stuff!

2022-12-04, 12:30:14
Reply #13

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is this already implemented in v9, Marcin?