Author Topic: Revit/3ds Max/Corona  (Read 1544 times)

2022-10-27, 12:20:14

DrenAhmeti

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I apologise if I am postnig in the wrong forum group, new to the group.

Just wondering about the workflow and if you can suggest what is best.
I want to see how I can switch from V-Ray for Revit to Corona renderer. Since V-Ray for Revit is a plug-in it is really easy, the workflow. So I am wondering if anyone here is already using it, what does it look like. I will use the Revit model for shop-drawings and documentation so it is important that I just add to that process and I can't compromise in Revit model in order to make Corona renderer work.

Do you export the Revit or live link it in Max. Or we export it as FBX?

I appreciate you time and help!

Edit: Typo
« Last Edit: 2022-10-27, 12:57:59 by DrenAhmeti »

2022-10-28, 07:36:44
Reply #1

JGallagher

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We always start in Revit so we can use them for working drawings. As soon as the exterior modelling is done I export to .fbx and start in 3ds max. I do all my materials in Corona. The effort to do materials in Revit, then convert them in Max isn't worth it. In my opinion.

2022-10-28, 08:36:56
Reply #2

Philip kelly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Sketchrender
Same process, I get Revit models in and sometime if not a lot of the time the revit model is not linking correctly.
Generally the layers have a ral of finish text in the layer name, which helps with the materials.
A lot of cleaning up involved. and can be high geometry count too.
Attaching a lof the same objects helps, as you go through the layers you will see that.
Watch out for handrails and the genious who modeled the railings indiviually, they can be massive.

Generally works out correctly untill they send you an update..............rinse and repaet on the your time.

Phil
Dell Precision T7910

2022-10-28, 16:02:33
Reply #3

DrenAhmeti

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

My concern with FBX is, I tried it once, the export of geometry with railings and curved elements in Revit. It didn't export that good!
Also the workflow of using a standalone not linked FBX model seems kind of not right since you may an usually have changes along the way :/.

I saw on the internet the Workflow Suite which linked 3ds Max with Revit but haven't tried it yet since I don't have a subscription of 3ds Max. That is why I wanted ot be sure in the forum before commiting.

Thank you!

PS. If you don't mind me asking, how long do typically the renders take for let's say 1080p 150dpi.

2022-10-28, 16:05:11
Reply #4

DrenAhmeti

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi JGallager,

My thinking is to use the model for interior as well to have a walk through and panoramas as well as the exterior.
As for the material I agree, I am planning in using Corona and expanding my library there but the workflow as is doesn't seem logical to have to always start from scratch if the model changes.

2022-10-29, 10:52:29
Reply #5

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Do not bother with 3ds max. If Revit is your base for modeling just find yourself an engine with native Revit plugin that suits your needs.

What it is you’re missing in V-Ray for Revit?
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2022-10-31, 13:18:15
Reply #6

DrenAhmeti

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi Piotrus,

I don't know, it's not that bad in V-Ray for Revit but it has it's ceiling. I would like to create realistic renders and get better on it so I don't want to spend much time in something which doesn't give you high-end visualisations.
You can't make videos as of yet in V-Ray for Revit so that is an issue that I can think of.

2022-10-31, 14:15:35
Reply #7

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Piotrus,

I don't know, it's not that bad in V-Ray for Revit but it has it's ceiling. I would like to create realistic renders and get better on it so I don't want to spend much time in something which doesn't give you high-end visualisations.
You can't make videos as of yet in V-Ray for Revit so that is an issue that I can think of.

Chaos Vantage then.
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2022-11-01, 16:46:08
Reply #8

JGallagher

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi JGallager,

My thinking is to use the model for interior as well to have a walk through and panoramas as well as the exterior.
As for the material I agree, I am planning in using Corona and expanding my library there but the workflow as is doesn't seem logical to have to always start from scratch if the model changes.

I apologize I thought I replied to you the same day. I must've forgot to hit post.

You can easily export new items from Revit, just isolate what you want in the 3d view and export selected. It sould import to 3ds max in the correct coordinates.