Author Topic: New pricing - "thank you" Chaos...  (Read 6616 times)

2022-10-19, 14:23:53
Reply #15

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
er.. Can I just confirm something here: I currently have Corona single license (lets call it solo) and 3 render nodes. Am I correct in thinking that when it renews in 100 days I can still have Solo and 3 render nodes?

The current license can't be called "solo" as such a thing didn't exist :) If you have what used to be a FairSaaS license, the only way to keep the 3 render nodes included in the price which we maintained for Corona 8 is to keep your Premium subscription active.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-10-19, 14:59:01
Reply #16

rojharris

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry Tom, just to be perfectly clear. If I renew premium at £358 per year, I get to keep exactly what I have now, ie 3 nodes... ??

i.e. I don't have to pay per node like they do over in Redshift country!

Thanks

2022-10-19, 16:37:18
Reply #17

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry Tom, just to be perfectly clear. If I renew premium at £358 per year, I get to keep exactly what I have now, ie 3 nodes... ??

Thanks

Right! If you have the 3 nodes carried over from the FairSaaS days, you will keep those without any additional charge, so long as your Premium is renewed without interruption. New users will have to purchase those Render Nodes separately, but our long term users get to keep them (so long as the subscription continues unbroken through 8, and now Premium remains unbroken onward).

As a note, if you are currently on a Monthly Premium subscription and would like to swap to Annual Premium for the greater economy of the pricing AND still keep your FairSaaS render nodes included in that Annual Premium price, please contact our support team through https://support.chaos.com/requests/new and we can make that happen. This is just to ensure those additional render nodes don't get "lost" if you change from Monthly Premium to Annual Premium yourself.

Hope that helps!

2022-10-19, 16:52:44
Reply #18

John_Do

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Thanks

Right! If you have the 3 nodes carried over from the FairSaaS days, you will keep those without any additional charge, so long as your Premium is renewed without interruption. New users will have to purchase those Render Nodes separately, but our long term users get to keep them (so long as the subscription continues unbroken through 8, and now Premium remains unbroken onward).

As a note, if you are currently on a Monthly Premium subscription and would like to swap to Annual Premium for the greater economy of the pricing AND still keep your FairSaaS render nodes included in that Annual Premium price, please contact our support team through https://support.chaos.com/requests/new and we can make that happen. This is just to ensure those additional render nodes don't get "lost" if you change from Monthly Premium to Annual Premium yourself.

Hope that helps!

Hi Tom, I'm wondering something : if the Corona Solo tier  is now a node-locked license, does it mean that we don't have to install the Chaos License Server and can use the software offline ? What happens if I do a hardware upgrade and change the motherboard ?

Thanks !

2022-10-19, 16:54:40
Reply #19

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry, that question is best sent in to the support folks via ticket at https://support.chaos.com/requests/new - just because they are more into the technical behind-the-scenes ins and outs of it than I am :) They'll get you all the answers you need. I can answer the higher level stuff though!

2022-10-20, 08:55:29
Reply #20

rojharris

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hope that helps!

Perfecto! Thanks Tom. I'm too old to be learning new software. I will happily stick to Corona :-)

2022-10-20, 15:39:41
Reply #21

minimaldesign - Blaž

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • minimaldesign
Those seeing a price that is "doubling" (and it's not just a price change, it's more a change as to what a Corona is, due to the extra functionality included) are those who are paying the same price we set in 2015 at launch. We were able to maintain that for the release of 8, letting everyone stay on that 7 year old price, but we had to re-evaluate the price based on the challenges faced by businesses in the current economic climate. Had we increased prices a couple of times over that 7 years, it would not seem so large a change but we kept that original pricing for a long time without any incremental steps. Also, switching to annual means the price change is then nowhere near a "doubling" (and if you have been with us long enough to have the old pricing and render nodes, annual makes sense anyway as you know that Corona is something you are using longer term).

And on the next question, we are aware because the same thing affects all our employees and us as a business; as noted the pricing was based on the challenges faced in the current economy.

Hope this helps clarify the situation some!

so if I just stay on the latest working version for cinema4d R16 it will be cheaper? The price difference between monthly and yearly is 85%...wtf....Excuse my French but wtf? We will most likely finish this story
« Last Edit: 2022-10-20, 16:04:00 by minimaldesign - Blaž »

2022-10-21, 10:09:19
Reply #22

John_Do

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry, that question is best sent in to the support folks via ticket at https://support.chaos.com/requests/new - just because they are more into the technical behind-the-scenes ins and outs of it than I am :) They'll get you all the answers you need. I can answer the higher level stuff though!

Done, I put the answers here if it can avoid cluttering the support :

- Does the node-locked license mean Corona can run fully offline, without the Chaos Licence server in background ?
You will still have to install the Chaos license server. You can use your Corona licenses offline even now so that has not changed.

- What happens if I do a hardware upgrade and change the motherboard ?
We will probably devise a way to allow you to change hardware with the Solo license.

So I'm a bit confused, what is the point of the node-locked license if it uses online licensing and that I have to run the license server ? I don't see the point, can you explain the technical reasons that led to this difference between Solo and Premium ?

2022-10-21, 12:40:20
Reply #23

Philw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes that is a bit confusing - and my response from support made similar sense. I've just uninstalled my separate license server on my little network and installed it locally on my workstations instead as it seemed to blow minds that I would have set it up that way. Also, it seems the only way to be able to offline a license for a temporary period.
« Last Edit: 2022-10-22, 08:16:41 by Philw »

2022-10-24, 15:12:10
Reply #24

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

so if I just stay on the latest working version for cinema4d R16 it will be cheaper? The price difference between monthly and yearly is 85%...wtf....Excuse my French but wtf? We will most likely finish this story

I am not sure what you mean here. There is no way to "stay on Corona 8" assuming this is what you mean by "stay on the latest working version" - a Corona subscription gives access to all versions of Corona, from 9 and back earlier, but it's the same subscription.

2022-10-25, 11:25:42
Reply #25

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi guys, I'll do my best to clear any confusion for you.

So I'm a bit confused, what is the point of the node-locked license if it uses online licensing and that I have to run the license server ? I don't see the point, can you explain the technical reasons that led to this difference between Solo and Premium ?

We offer two different subscription plans for Corona: Premium and Solo. There are differences in the offered tools, in the pricing, and in the license usage. Generally, we can say that the Premium plan is for customers who need a pool of licenses that they can move between a number of computers and users (e.g. a studio with multiple artists using both the office machines and their home machines, where each license is not locked to a specific machine or user). A Solo license is registered to a single computer only and this is suitable, for example, for freelancers using only one machine. With both plans, the activation process is the same: start the Chaos License Server, sign in, use Corona. You need to be online so that we can check your license validity. You can borrow a license for offline usage with both Premium and Solo: https://docs.chaos.com/display/LIC5/Borrowing+Licenses+for+Offline+Use

Yes that is a bit confusing - and my response from support made similar sense. I've just uninstalled my separate license server on my little network and installed it locally on my workstations instead as it seemed to blow minds that I would have set it up that way. Also, it seems the only way to be able to offline a license for a temporary period.

"I've just uninstalled my separate license server on my little network and installed it locally on my workstations instead as it seemed to blow minds that I would have set it up that way." - Can you please explain what exactly you meant by this part?

To activate your license, regardless of the subscription type, you need to make sure that your computer is able to access the Chaos License Server (it can be a single Chaos License Server running on the network, or multiple ones - one per each computer).
To use your license offline, you can borrow it with both Premium and Solo: https://docs.chaos.com/display/LIC5/Borrowing+Licenses+for+Offline+Use
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-10-28, 13:33:55
Reply #26

mlon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey there,

i just got this weird and uninformative email concerning price changes.

"This is to let you know that your subscription pricing has changed.

Product: Corona Renderer for Cinema 4D - FairSaaS - 1 WS + 3 NODES (12 months)

New price: 289.99 EUR
Price for the first month: 418.80 EUR"

New price : 289,99..  for what, no info?
418,80 first month?? huh?

I logged into my account and noticed i am on premium??
Never did i ordered this, so whats the deal here?

mlon

2022-10-28, 13:38:20
Reply #27

babumbol

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Soooo, the new price is 289.99 €, and 418,80 € for the first month, eh? (see attached image) Chaos with chaos.
Maybe while upping prices like crazy, try to at least communicate clear and without discrepancies.

2022-10-28, 13:42:21
Reply #28

rojharris

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey there,

"This is to let you know that your subscription pricing has changed.

Product: Corona Renderer for Cinema 4D - FairSaaS - 1 WS + 3 NODES (12 months)

New price: 289.99 EUR
Price for the first month: 418.80 EUR"

New price : 289,99..  for what, no info?
418,80 first month?? huh?

I logged into my account and noticed i am on premium??
Never did i ordered this, so whats the deal here?

mlon

Me too! I think £418.80 is the premium price plus tax. No idea what the 'New Price' is. Probably the old price. It is a rediculous price hike though. I'm currently in the process of researching a new render engine. On top of the Cinema cost it's just not sustainable. I've got until February to find something.... Probably going to end up with Blender and Cycles, even though its not as good as Corona :-(
Sad times in this industry...

2022-10-28, 13:46:26
Reply #29

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

Soooo, the new price is 289.99 €, and 418,80 € for the first month, eh? (see attached image) Chaos with chaos.
Maybe while upping prices like crazy, try to at least communicate clear and without discrepancies.

Me too! I think £418.80 is the premium price plus tax. No idea what the 'New Price' is. Probably the old price. It is a rediculous price hike though. I'm currently in the process of researching a new render engine. On top of the Cinema cost it's just not sustainable. I've got until February to find something.... Probably going to end up with Blender and Cycles, even though its not as good as Corona :-(
Sad times in this industry...

Please contact our support at https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
If anything is unclear to you, or if you find the notification emails confusing, the dedicated team will explain everything to you.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us