Author Topic: Render image with backplate unaffected.  (Read 2261 times)

2020-07-22, 10:21:00

DPS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I can never get this to work in Corona and I usually have to fudge it.

I'm projecting a backplate onto geometry (a terrain model), and also using it as my background (for the sky) and I want the projection to render exactly as it appears in the backplate image file.

I'm using exposure, tonemapping, and a LUT in the frame buffer.

I'm using the tonemap control node and I've disabled all buttons which I thought should leave the backplate in tact but if I adjust the framebuffer exposure, or toggle the LUT (Kim Amland Photographic), the backplate changes and it always looks weird.

Am I missunderstanding the tonemap control node? Any suggestions? Thanks
Specs: AMD 1950X, Aorus Gaming 7 x399, 64GB RAM, 1080ti. Win10, Max 2017, Corona 1.7.3

2020-07-22, 10:58:41
Reply #1

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Try:

- CoronaLightMaterial with the CoronaTonemapControl as texture, intensity 1, emit light off -> Terrain
- same TonemapControl -> Environment map

And have a look at the "Warning" notes inside the TonemapControl. Dubcats photographic LUTs for example cannot be reverted afaik. But you can get close(r) to the look with standard tone mapping controls which can be reverted. And if you want to see how exposure affects the TonemapControl output, remember that you have to restart IR.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2020-07-22, 16:52:45
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Remember that for the Tonemap Control node to work, you need to re-render your image. You will not see the changes immediately when you change the VFB post settings. (i.e. you cannot adjust the post settings and see the image remain the same all the time)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-07-23, 01:20:54
Reply #3

DPS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Would there be a chance of getting Corona tonemapping node to work with LUTs?

I was able to get it to work without that. Thanks
Specs: AMD 1950X, Aorus Gaming 7 x399, 64GB RAM, 1080ti. Win10, Max 2017, Corona 1.7.3

2020-07-27, 00:50:52
Reply #4

DPS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've been trying to use the curve editor instead of the LUT to resolve the workflow of matching a backplate and the node isn't removing the effect of my custom curve on the backplate.

Any chance this node could receive some love from the dev team? The fact that you can't edit the frame buffer settings whilst rendering makes it really clunky (barely usable) to use. If I could strap a mirrorball, grey ball and colorchecker passport to a drone then it may be easier. But for the majority of Arch Viz studios - I'd say this rarely happens.
« Last Edit: 2020-07-27, 01:09:52 by DPS »