Author Topic: CXR file overwrite not working?  (Read 2895 times)

2018-01-10, 00:48:26

l.croxton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So to keep this short; in 1.6 when rendering a file due to my own system instability and low RAM i would make sure that the save multiple CXR files were enabled to make sure I had a back up of the frame buffer if needed.

However I've noticed recently with now more RAM installed and better system stability the function of overwriting the saved CXR files is no longer working. It only saves the allocated amount so for example 3 files, and then it appears to stop saving them and doesn't overwrite the older files. Any reason why this could be happening?

2018-01-10, 11:26:32
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
So to keep this short; in 1.6 when rendering a file due to my own system instability and low RAM i would make sure that the save multiple CXR files were enabled to make sure I had a back up of the frame buffer if needed.
You mean the autosave option in system settings?

However I've noticed recently with now more RAM installed and better system stability the function of overwriting the saved CXR files is no longer working. It only saves the allocated amount so for example 3 files, and then it appears to stop saving them and doesn't overwrite the older files. Any reason why this could be happening?
In the same 1.6 version, or a different one?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-01-10, 13:29:54
Reply #2

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
does using different file location fixes this?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2018-01-10, 21:03:56
Reply #3

l.croxton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys sorry for the late reply.

Yes I do mean in the system settings.

In the latest version 1.7 (I believe is correct?)

I'm pretty sure it does it regardless of where I save it location wise.

I can certainly do some bug checking once I have completed the image to let you guys know if that will help!

I have noticed however I am getting a new RAM warning, saying that I do not have enough RAM (its saying it needs 37gig) and that I only have 32 available etc. So possibly this could be an issue, however I am not convinced it is since even when I am not rendering and simply just saving the CXR file itself, it will not overwrite the previous files. It gives no error message saying it can not save, it simply locks up for a few seconds (as it did do before when it was working to save the file) and then nothing happens.

Sorry if this is of little help at the moment, when I have some more free time to help aid with the checking I will do so. Is there any other information you could do with right now?

Thanks! :)

2018-01-11, 09:30:03
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I think this could be caused by running out of RAM, many strange things may happen then. The solution would be to check if the same thing is happening for you in a simple scene, which is not so ram-hungry.

Other than that, what is the file size of the autosaves? Are they some super high resolution images with many render elements, or just something simple and lightweight?

2018-01-11, 13:22:35
Reply #5

NikaNikitina

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Something similar is happening here, but maybe worth a check. I noticed, based on the file date and time, that my autosaves are not saving over old ones. However! They are! The file dates and times are just not being updated. I came in this morning after an overnight render to a locked up machine. Restarted and nearly had a heart attack not to see anything past yesterday's date in my autosave folder. Clicked through the files regardless and found renders from last night through to the morning.

Maybe worth a check?

2018-01-11, 14:08:43
Reply #6

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
The file dates and times are just not being updated.

The question is: which dates/times you have how looked at :) You probably have checked the creation date only, not the last change date. See file properties -> Details.

Afaik the Corona autosave file is not created and renamed after deleting some old one but an existing one with the same name gets changed. So you always stare at the same date if your explorer column is configured to show creation date only.

Good Luck

« Last Edit: 2018-01-11, 18:42:10 by Frood »
Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2018-01-15, 23:10:10
Reply #7

l.croxton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey sorry again for the mega late reply.

A quick update, I think you could be right on Corona not overwritting due to low RAM as a new scene I had started managed to overwrite my last CXR save.... Luckily I avoided a total fail as I had a backup!

It still doesn't explain why when just trying the Corona Image Editor it doesn't save over the CXR file when low RAM has no issue.

The renders are not very high res. 4000x3078. Render elements are kept to a minimal beauty, reflection, wire ID, Colour ID (MAT). I removed as many as I could get away with to try and help with the RAM issue.

To be honest I am confident it is low RAM so you're probably right!

If you wouldn't mind, or anyone else just helping with this last issue I'll raise here, my wire and colour ID passes are what I could only describe as noisey/blotchey. Any idea what I am doing wrong that would be causing this? Seems like an odd error! If you can't/won't answer this due to it being a separate issue that is totally understandable and I'll ask again at a later date!

Thanks for all your help so far! :)

2018-01-17, 10:49:00
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Let's assume the Corona autosave is failing because of low RAM until there are some findings that would prove otherwise.

Now to the other issues:

1) CIE
It still doesn't explain why when just trying the Corona Image Editor it doesn't save over the CXR file when low RAM has no issue.
Can you explain what exactly is happening? I am not sure if you already mentioned this topic in this thread.
So you just open a CXR file in the Corona Image Editor, and you are not able to overwrite this file? What exactly is happening? Is there some error message, or does it seem to overwrite it and then the old version of the file is still there?
Are you able to save it under a different file name instead of overwriting?

2) Elements
my wire and colour ID passes are what I could only describe as noisey/blotchey. Any idea what I am doing wrong that would be causing this?
Can you post an example of those elements? Are you using distributed rendering or just rendering locally on one PC?
Which version of Corona is this?