Author Topic: Dichroic Laminated Glass?  (Read 10609 times)

2017-10-26, 19:01:28

JGallagher

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I was wondering if making this type of glass would be possible in Corona: https://www.goldrayglass.com/products/dichroic/

It's seems to be a film laminated in between two layers of glass. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

2017-10-26, 19:30:15
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think Siger's Thin Film plugin should help you to achieve something like this.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-10-26, 21:25:13
Reply #2

JGallagher

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That seemed to work, I forgot all about that plug-in. Thanks Romullus

2017-10-27, 02:46:27
Reply #3

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Also, notice light reflecting & passing through glass...
... Caustics & Shadows.
Dichroic glass usually scatters color in way that creates complementary colored shadows or even better, more complex see-through colorful effects ;)
eg.

2017-11-03, 20:17:24
Reply #4

JGallagher

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've got the look of the glass down, but is there anyways to get colored shadows?

2017-11-06, 10:24:36
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Simply using reflection color and refraction color seems to work fine.
Additionally you can plug falloff map into those slots to get some bonus effects.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-11-06, 15:51:30
Reply #6

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
just thinfim siger shader
« Last Edit: 2017-11-06, 15:58:46 by sprayer »

2017-11-06, 20:03:56
Reply #7

JGallagher

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Sprayer, can I see your material setup? I got the look I want by plugging ThinFilm into Reflection Color, but I can't seem to reproduce what you have.

EDIT: Didn't see your response Maru, plugging it into refraction color as well gave me what I wanted. Thanks again everyone!
« Last Edit: 2017-11-06, 20:33:35 by JGallagher »

2021-05-13, 09:36:35
Reply #8

MAY3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • MAY3D Portfolio
I know this is an old topic, but I'm hoping someone can help me with a current issue using Siger's Thin Film plugin with Corona.

I have a client that wants to showcase a lot of Dichroic film panels in the 3D visuals I'm creating for them. They shared the attached reference images, one used on a transparent substrate (Dichroic_Transparent) and the other on a white opaque substrate (Dichroic_Opaque). I've attempted to replicate it using Siger's Thin Film but I'm getting solid banding (Dichroic_Thin Film), where, in reality, it looks to be a more gentle fade between colours. I have also attempted to replicate it manually by layering falloff maps with the CoronaMix Map, but ended up coming back to Thin Film. My Dichroic material settings are attached.

Does anybody have any recommendations on how to best replicate the real world look of this material? Is there any way to smooth out the colours in the Thin Film shader?

TIA
3D Generalist #OpenToWork

2021-07-01, 11:37:51
Reply #9

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I know this is an old topic, but I'm hoping someone can help me with a current issue using Siger's Thin Film plugin with Corona.

I have a client that wants to showcase a lot of Dichroic film panels in the 3D visuals I'm creating for them. They shared the attached reference images, one used on a transparent substrate (Dichroic_Transparent) and the other on a white opaque substrate (Dichroic_Opaque). I've attempted to replicate it using Siger's Thin Film but I'm getting solid banding (Dichroic_Thin Film), where, in reality, it looks to be a more gentle fade between colours. I have also attempted to replicate it manually by layering falloff maps with the CoronaMix Map, but ended up coming back to Thin Film. My Dichroic material settings are attached.

Does anybody have any recommendations on how to best replicate the real world look of this material? Is there any way to smooth out the colours in the Thin Film shader?

TIA

Here some planning of the shot and scene should be done as this is something not easily rendered and can cause huge render times possibly, so try to look for optimizations.
Mainly you have two things to control
• The surface color of the glass panels and/or
• The color of their shadow or the real physical effect of a colored glass.
If going for full physicality, i.e. colored shadows, caustics shall be enabled. Then you control the shadow color only by volumetric absorption. Here simple gradient or any other map alike would do.
Why do I mentioned this. You may look at the glass panel from different angles and it may appear colored differently but the shadows it creates are constant, not dependent on any angle.
So for maximum physicality use volumetric absorption for glass panels and for diffuse/base color any falloff (even in Light/Shadow mode which I tested and it gave interesting results) which fits your needs/taste can be used. Mainly simple falloff with two colors you choose will do fine. The rest e.g. cells or so can be achieved with refraction/reflection glossiness and even with diffuse.
See attached some examples I got. Everything is a simple CoronaMtl/CoronaPhysicalMtl with general falloffs, mapped differently.
« Last Edit: 2021-07-01, 11:41:55 by Aram Avetisyan »
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2021-08-05, 18:53:44
Reply #10

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Playing around with Siger Complex Fresnel texmap and caustics - just because Corona Complex IOR is not a texmap but a Physical Mtl parameter ;)

2021-08-24, 14:20:18
Reply #11

3dvizual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Maru

Can you post the settings for the Complex Fresnel map?

best regards Martin

2021-08-25, 09:19:00
Reply #12

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi Maru

Can you post the settings for the Complex Fresnel map?

best regards Martin

Sure, here it is, it looks like I forgot to send it!
My Complex Fresnel settings are totally random, definitely nothing physically plausible.
Remember to download the newest version of the plugin - https://www.sigerstudio.eu/sigertexmaps-complexfresnel/

2021-08-25, 09:32:37
Reply #13

3dvizual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Awesome. Thank you so much. :-)