Author Topic: VizPark's Real Grass - Corona Preset Question  (Read 2708 times)

2017-06-08, 21:02:47

JGallagher

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I had a couple questions about VizPark's Real Grass and was hoping I could get some clarification from the Corona pro's.

First, when I open a scene I get this message:

If my gamma is set to 2.2, when I import these bitmaps I should override to 1.0 correct?

Secondly, the materials seem to be made differently than anything I've read or watched about Corona. As you can see they use a Fresnel IOR of 999, and a refraction level of 1.0.

Is this a correct way of doing it? Or should I be adjusting them? Thanks for the help in advance!

EDIT: Not sure if the images are showing, I've added them as attachments as well.
« Last Edit: 2017-06-08, 21:12:31 by JGallagher »

2017-06-09, 07:09:03
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The output gamma basically shouldn't matter anymore as it's automatically overriden, i.e jpeg gets saved as 2.2 from framebuffer, .exr gets saved as 1.0.
That is, if you use 3dsMax version that has this feature (2015+ ? I don't remember since when...).

The material is plain wrong. Maybe the idea was to have really "fast" rendering shader ? Whatever was the case the result will be bad looking.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-06-09, 16:19:34
Reply #2

JGallagher

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply Juraj, I will see what I can do about the grass. Much appreciated.

2017-06-09, 16:42:57
Reply #3

Jadefox

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Renderlab
a quick fix on this ( but by no means 100 % correct )
Is just drag the diffuse texture into the translucency slot and set to about .5 ( play around a bit )

Drag the exact same diffuse into the glossy and bump slots and set reflection to full
Play around with output to get desired effect , but it will completely change the look
Like evermotion vray tree models,  they also tend to put a greyscale image in the translucency slot and
that what makes the whole plant or grass grey and ugly

Imho they are quite well modeled and if textured and scattered correctly can look very good

Edit : No refraction and IOR at 1,5
« Last Edit: 2017-06-09, 16:48:52 by Jadefox »

2017-06-09, 18:20:02
Reply #4

JGallagher

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for simplifying the process for me, Jadefox.

I really like the RealGrass bundle, especially the grass fields they have, but I knew from all the Corona tutorials that there was something up with the materials.