Author Topic: Adaptivity and Shadow channel  (Read 6426 times)

2021-10-03, 14:01:33

tradstown

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I already wrote about these problems in a "The most wanted feature?" topic.
There is a problems with Focus Sampling and Shadow channel. Please, let me know, if there is some news about these problems.
I attached scene and some images of the problems here:

2021-10-04, 17:20:05
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
We already have this logged.
What you see is the effect of using the adaptive environment sampler. I do not have any explanations from the dev team yet, but I guess it makes rendering faster this way (and also makes it looks weird in the sampling focus element).
The shadows element issues look like a bug and we will look into it.

As a temporary workaround, you can try changing the adaptive environment sampler to anything else than "adaptive" in the development/experimental stuff rollout - https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000021288

(Report ID=CRMAX-939)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-10-04, 19:44:00
Reply #2

tradstown

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What you see is the effect of using the adaptive environment sampler. I do not have any explanations from the dev team yet, but I guess it makes rendering faster this way (and also makes it looks weird in the sampling focus element).

As a temporary workaround, you can try changing the adaptive environment sampler to anything else than "adaptive" in the development/experimental stuff rollout - https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000021288

(Report ID=CRMAX-939)

Hello Maru, thank you for reply! As all of us know, it doesn't make our renders faster on the latest passes now, as Focus of Sampling focusing on the areas, that no need to be cleaned. All of us using Denoiser to clean image in the end after 8-10 or even 20 hours of rendering using 20 cores processors. Hope it will be fixed in a near feature and Corona will become faster on the latest passes!

2021-10-05, 12:57:34
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

(Report ID=CRMAX-939)

Hello Maru, thank you for reply! As all of us know, it doesn't make our renders faster on the latest passes now, as Focus of Sampling focusing on the areas, that no need to be cleaned. All of us using Denoiser to clean image in the end after 8-10 or even 20 hours of rendering using 20 cores processors. Hope it will be fixed in a near feature and Corona will become faster on the latest passes!

Or maybe it stops sampling in the places where sampling is not needed? :)

2021-10-05, 18:24:46
Reply #4

tradstown

• Active Users
    • View Profile

(Report ID=CRMAX-939)

Or maybe it stops sampling in the places where sampling is not needed? :)

Maybe =)
Maybe it should work like this, but in of all interiors, corners staying noisy every time, while all image is already clean long time ago. Theoretically it should work like in Fstorm renderer: few hours of noisy image and after corners and other noise parts should become clean, but instead it renderin 8 hours and still noisy.

2021-11-02, 09:33:04
Reply #5

tradstown

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is there some news about this problem? I think this is very important bug for all of us. It's just can make Corona engine much faster. Hope it will not be ignored.

2021-11-04, 09:47:11
Reply #6

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

Unfortunately we don't have any updates on this one yet.

Thanks,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2021-11-08, 11:23:37
Reply #7

tradstown

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Thanks,

Rowan

Thank you for reply! Hope it will be fixed in a nearest future.

2021-12-21, 11:43:19
Reply #8

tradstown

• Active Users
    • View Profile

(Report ID=CRMAX-939)

Hello Maru. I tested other options in the developmend/experimental section of adaptivity and it was no changes. Just trying to help with this problem. Hope to hear some news about this when dev team will look at it.

2022-01-18, 11:12:55
Reply #9

tradstown

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Some new tests with 4K cache give same results - adaptive environment sampler doesn't work in a right way, as we saw earlier. Hope somebody will look at it soon!

2022-03-31, 07:04:23
Reply #10

tradstown

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello to Corona team. Is there was chance to look at adaptivity problem?

2022-06-16, 18:23:16
Reply #11

zackary

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Thanks,

Rowan

Hello, Corona team! Is there any updates about sampler - i just tested scene uploaded by tradstown - looks like nothing changed for version 7 and 8 - will there be some improvements for 9th corona version? Fstorm sampler looks to me much logical. Thank You

2022-07-25, 16:29:18
Reply #12

tradstown

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2022-08-11, 19:02:49
Reply #13

tradstown

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2022-08-31, 13:03:08
Reply #14

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
This is still on a todo list, sorry for the lack of updates. Can you please explain why it is so important to you? Is it that you need to use the shadow pass for compositing and right now it is giving you incorrect results? Maybe there is some other reason?

I provided a workaround in one of my first messages here, but there was some confusion about the specific name of the setting to change. Here is clarification:
1. Enable the development/experimental stuff rollout - https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4528523195537
2. Go to Performance > Development/experimental stuff rollout
3. Under the Lights section change Enviro sampler to NormalDep Compensated
4. DO NOT change "adaptivity", "adaptive light solver", or any other settings!

(Internal ID=937634695)

« Last Edit: 2023-02-16, 20:17:51 by Aram Avetisyan »