Author Topic: VRay 3.0 SP1  (Read 37272 times)

2014-12-11, 02:31:20
Reply #15

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
I must say, Chaos Group is doing better with this SP1 than I though they would. Looks very nice, and from a totally unbiased point of view.. they are certainly adding a fair few of the features that currently makes Corona much nicer to work with compared to Vray.  Interesting.

Edit: But I must say it's hard to compete with the easy and simplicity of Corona.   It just looks good.

Edit2: We have been setting up comparison tests all morning between vray 3 sp1 and corona daily build. And after 2mins of rendering, with the right tweaking (hate tweaking these days) You can probably get more out of Vray in this simple test scene... How ever if you leave both rendering for 10mins, there is no competition. So far I would still pick corona for the type of work we do here.
« Last Edit: 2014-12-11, 04:55:20 by snakebox »

2014-12-11, 10:07:30
Reply #16

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Edit2: We have been setting up comparison tests all morning between vray 3 sp1 and corona daily build. And after 2mins of rendering, with the right tweaking (hate tweaking these days) You can probably get more out of Vray in this simple test scene... How ever if you leave both rendering for 10mins, there is no competition. So far I would still pick corona for the type of work we do here.

Did the SP1-update work correctly for you? No black renderings or moved geometry and such? :)

2014-12-11, 12:00:58
Reply #17

Captain Obvious

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am bit wary of new methods since their whole Embree and Probabilistic failure. Embree is unusuable since it disables (without any threshold) every instance, what do I have, 256GB of ram ? It's usable for those who render boxes.
Probabilistic shaves off time...creates visually wrong look (like most of the time completely different intensity), and introduces new noise.
Is that a Max-specific issue? The modo version of V-Ray uses Embree by default and that supports instancing. I've never used V-Ray in Softimage or Maya.

2014-12-11, 13:09:22
Reply #18

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Nope, Embree works just fine with instancing in Vray. Rendering huge landscapes over here at work as I am writing this and everything works fine. 5*5km of river, cliffs, forests, grass, houses, ships and it eats just under 12GB of RAM.

2014-12-11, 14:03:39
Reply #19

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Sorry, indeed maybe my understanding got mixed in head. It was actually this : I swear I saw different wording elsewhere by Vlado but now I am sorry. Not intended to say bullshit though.

"Currently in V-Ray Embree accelerates only static geometry (as opposed to dynamic, or render-time geometry). To get the maximum performance, it is recommended to set the Default geometry parameter to Static - this will use more memory (any instances will be replicated)"

http://help.chaosgroup.com/vray/help/300R1/render_params_system.htm

It makes my 20-30GB scenes unrenderable or reach far higher.

2015SP2 /3.008 is what I use.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-12-11, 14:22:39
Reply #20

Captain Obvious

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah, that makes sense. Sort of.

2014-12-11, 16:37:08
Reply #21

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
I don't quite think they got their exposure and high light compression (burn) right.. it looks a little odd compared to corona at least.  Though I also don't think Corona got the default white balance quite right. 

Rendering the exact same scene in both Corona comes out way more blue... looks a little odd. Not a direct problem.. just odd.

2014-12-11, 16:52:53
Reply #22

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Rendering the exact same scene in both Corona comes out way more blue... looks a little odd. Not a direct problem.. just odd.

If it's equal comparison (e.g. same hdri and exact colour temperature), then you better report it as a bug. But if you comparing Corona sky vs Vray sky, then it could be due to different sky models.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2014-12-11, 17:34:48
Reply #23

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
"(*) Embree: Proxies and instances can now be accelerated by Embree;"

Looks like new builds are up again, so perhaps I'll get to try it.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2014-12-11, 17:38:41
Reply #24

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Btw: reading through the whole release notes, this took my attention under "modified features" :- )

"(*) V-Ray: The default GI methods are set to Brute force/Light cache;
(*) V-Ray: The default image sampler set to Progressive;
(*) V-Ray: The image sampler parameters rollout is unfolded by default;"

----> One button ;- ) But foremost, engine battle is strong here.

2014-12-11, 18:26:27
Reply #25

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Interesting...I will have to read through the release notes to see what else they have changed!

Seems like they also wanted everything to be easy without settings :)

2014-12-11, 18:35:02
Reply #26

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Yes Juraj, Chaosgroup noticed how many old arch-viz designers (me, you etc...) have moved in Corona. Maybe not 100% of our jobs are made with Corona, but 80%-90%. And yes, I think arch-viz community is getting bigger every year = more money. So, Chaosgroup are running for recover this "leakage".

But, Corona is created on solid foundations to work in progressive way and run very fast, with extreme simplicity, accompanied by an incredible quality. V-Ray, as we know, no.
I remember when I started (1999-2000)with Final Render... it was so complex! And VRay was so easy, just a few parameters (compared to FR). But, now, they are exaggerating with settings, min, max, AA, mathematical calculations to set subdivs correctly, check render elements to see where are the problems, etc... in fact new scripts were born to simplify it (SolidRocks). And, now, V-Ray needs a Quick toolbar to simplify the rendering setup... Mmmm... this is why I started to use Corona. I want to spend my time to create image, not to spend so many time to tweak the renderer engine.

2014-12-11, 19:24:01
Reply #27

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It is said that "Copying is the Highest Form of Compliment"... good to know that vray are pushing in the rigth direction inside of their own means.
What i do with Corona My Corona post of random stuff rendering
WARNING: English.dll still loading...

2014-12-11, 19:52:15
Reply #28

Captain Obvious

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I remember when I started (1999-2000)with Final Render... it was so complex! And VRay was so easy, just a few parameters (compared to FR). But, now, they are exaggerating with settings, min, max, AA, mathematical calculations to set subdivs correctly, check render elements to see where are the problems, etc... in fact new scripts were born to simplify it (SolidRocks). And, now, V-Ray needs a Quick toolbar to simplify the rendering setup... Mmmm... this is why I started to use Corona. I want to spend my time to create image, not to spend so many time to tweak the renderer engine.
I wrote the code for a tool for modo that fills the same basic need. Instead of balancing loads of different settings it's just got a quality slider from 0 % to 100 %. It sold reasonably well. :-)

2014-12-12, 00:22:32
Reply #29

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
Yes Juraj, Chaosgroup noticed how many old arch-viz designers (me, you etc...) have moved in Corona. Maybe not 100% of our jobs are made with Corona, but 80%-90%. And yes, I think arch-viz community is getting bigger every year = more money. So, Chaosgroup are running for recover this "leakage".

But, Corona is created on solid foundations to work in progressive way and run very fast, with extreme simplicity, accompanied by an incredible quality. V-Ray, as we know, no.

This is exactly why I got REALLY excited about the new Vray sp1 and after spending a few hours testing it, I realized all it is doing is trying to be Corona.. but not as well.  For our stills (and probably animation with the new HDcache) We won't be going back to Vray any time soon here at the studio.