Author Topic: Should DR/BB nodes reload the max file for every frame?  (Read 4594 times)

2015-11-06, 17:35:17

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Hi folks,

When rendering an animation sequence, is it correct/expected that the other machines on the network have to close and reopen max for every frame? I get this when rendering a sequence either with DR or just plain old backburner frames. For every frame the server seems to dump max and reload the scene from scratch. This isn't the case with my main workstation where the job is running from, where it only loads the scene once.

This is the case even when the HDcache is saved out and being read, so just pure frame rendering happening.

My network nodes are super slow as a result of this. They need maybe 1 min or so to load the file and get going each frame.

Any ideas?
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk
max 2016 sp1, corona 1.3 final, win 8.1. pro

2015-11-06, 17:39:37
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Always wondered the same. Esp. noticeably overhead with short render times per frame.

Though as far as I remember (but I could remember wrongly...since I have shit memory) I wondered the same with Vray.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-11-06, 17:41:18
Reply #2

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Always wondered the same. Esp. noticeably overhead with short render times per frame.

Though as far as I remember (but I could remember wrongly...since I have shit memory) I wondered the same with Vray.

Yes I seem to remember this being the same with vray too. I really don't understand why it happens. If the main machine can keep it loaded in memory and simply flip to the next frame and get moving why can't the other nodes?

Maybe I'm doing something stupid. It's been a while since I've done any animation.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk

2015-11-06, 17:44:04
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I think that this was due to some Autodesk licensing policies. Not sure, though.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-11-06, 17:45:35
Reply #4

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
I think that this was due to some Autodesk licensing policies. Not sure, though.

So is this expected behaviour for any animations?

I'm wondering if it's possible to actually manually specify for each node to render a chunk of frames, such as:

node 1 - render 0-100
node 2 - render 101-200
node 3 - render 201-300
etc.

And maybe it will avoid restarts between each frame... Not sure...
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk

2015-11-06, 18:11:20
Reply #5

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile

I'm wondering if it's possible to actually manually specify for each node to render a chunk of frames, such as:

node 1 - render 0-100
node 2 - render 101-200
node 3 - render 201-300
etc.

this is again going in the "corona should re-implement backburner/deadline" territory ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-11-09, 09:20:18
Reply #6

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be

node 1 - render 0-100
node 2 - render 101-200
node 3 - render 201-300
etc.

this is again going in the "corona should re-implement backburner/deadline" territory ;)

and what about "Corona will develop its own render management software?" :-)